We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rented car trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

Belgorod, Russia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rented car trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

Hello!

We are planning a trip to South Africa. We appreciate the distances, but anyway were wondering if trip on a rented car is feasible/comfortable from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls, either on Zimbabwe or Zambia side? Im specifically interested in formalities on crossing the border driving a rented car. Or Im wondering if its safe to leave the rented car for a couple of days on the South Africa territory & just walk thru the border?We do need visas to enter Victoria Falls territory, but it could be as well just for one day based on a special border permit.

All recommendations are highly appreciated!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rented car trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe is literally as far away from South Africa as you can be and still be in Zimbabwe. It sits on the border with Zambia. So no, you cannot park in South Africa and walk across into Zimbabwe, to see the Falls. From time to time, people do ask about renting a car in South Africa and driving to Victoria Falls. But I haven't seen any report from anyone who ever did it.

Belgorod, Russia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rented car trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

Your are right! My goof! have not looked carefully at the map! So people usually fly to Livingstone I believe and go on organized tours or do you know if there are just public transport options to get the Falls? I have not yet researched much on this forum, but since you replied, thought Id use the chance to find some more details. Im thinking if one day is enough to visit the Falls & maybe undertake some adrinalin activity. Because if its not enough then we have to secure visas to Zimbabwe/Zambia in advance.....

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rented car trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

One day is definitely not enough time.

Besides, I think you need visas to enter Zimbabwe / Zambia anyway, whether for one day, or longer.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rented car trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

The adrenaline activity I know about and use for clients is on the Zimbabwe side...http://www.wildhorizons.co.za/highwire/#canopy

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rented car trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

I think the cost and formalities to rent a car for cross border purpose, especially to Zim is simply too onerous. Plus the time factor to drive the distance.

Best is to fly to Victoria Falls and stay for say 2/3 days to enjoy the falls and the activities they offer. As far as I know, Russian nationals require/ qualify for a category B visa which is simply getting a single entry visa at the port of entry I.e. when you arrive at the airport. Currently it is believed to cost US $30. It is not necessary to arrange one beforehand through an agency. It will cost you much more.

Another lovely alternative is to fly to Kasane in Botswana where you can base yourself and enjoy the Chobe game reserve. Then on one of the days take an excursion to Vic Falls. There are several operators doing this daily. Kasane is at the border between Botswana and Zim and Vic Falls is only some 70 km on the Zim side.

WK

6. Re: Rented car trip from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:20