We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

new york, ny
Level Contributor
39 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

DO NOT USE www.carhire3000.com. They are the same as the poorly rated and reviewed www.rentalcars.com

I had the unfortunate experience of being lied to when making the booking, being sold something that did not exist, and lied to about the company's cancellation policy.

The agent I spoke with told me that the rate included "no excess" Theft insurance while Avis does not offer such a thing.

He also told me that the cancellation policy was that there was no cancellation fee if the reservation was cancelled within 48hrs of the reservation.

I never received an email for my reservation so I called back to confirm. The new agent I spoke to said they had recorded my email incorrectly. I looked up the reservation and noticed there was no one way fee listed. I inquired about that. And I asked the agent to confirm the "no excess" insurance policy because in my own research I was unable to find that option.

The agent confirmed the one way fee which was not included in the quote, and then told me that there was no such thing as "no excess" offered by Avis. I told the agent I wanted to cancel the reservation. 1) I didn't like that the one way fee was not explicitly quoted and 2) I was told the fee included the no excess insurance.

The agent advised me that he wouldn't be able to cancel the reservation just made 24hrs ago without incurring the $60 deposit as a cancellation fee. I demanded a refund for the reasons I outlined. He told me he has escalated to his manager and who would need to review the phone conversation that happened to ensure I was not lying before processing a refund.

I told him to either refund me or I would take it up with my credit card company. The refund will be processed either way. They asked for an hour to review the conversation and would confirm the refund.

I find renting cars one of THE most frustrating parts of planning travel. Companies are never upfront with the charges and fees, make sure your read all the small print and clearly what is included and excluded from your quotes. These companies bank on customers not bein thorough with their research and just going with the cheapest quote. If you read the fine print, all the companies end up pricing up around the same. There is a contract fee of $5-6, a one way fee that may or may not be included with your quote. Also be careful with the insurance options, so far Budget is the only major rental company I can find that offers full no excess insurance.

I have located another comany, Comet Car Rental who's upfront and clear approach about what is included and what is not seems good, but I would like to get more feedback as they are not an internationally known company.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

Thanks for the update. Will look into car rental contracts closely when I rent a car.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

We used carhire3000 with no problems at all and excellent service.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

I've used carhire3000 numerous times, the last time a month a go for our trip to Namibia, without any problems.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
39 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

Carhire3000 is now rentalcars.com. Any company that goes by 3-4 different names cannot be reputable.

The 2nd agent I spoke to admitted that I was quoted a priced for insurance options that did not exist. The manager listened to the recorded conversation and agreed and that the agent that took my reservation sold me something that did not exist and also advised me of incorrect cancellation policies.

I have rented a car directly with Budget by calling their number and quoting the FJI rate, which is the International Leisure rate posted on their South African website.

I have spent about a week researching and comparing apples to apples across invoices and quotes, no major rental company offers No Excess insurance. The international sites and the national sites for the various rental companies will also quote different car types and rates. I would go with the national site because the information is more accurate especially around the insurance policies, requirements, and options.

Avis was slightly more money than Budget. Comet was a little cheaper with No Excess insurance but a small local rental company.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

The times I've used carhire3000 I have had cars from Europcar and Budget. Usually I pay standard cover and have travel insurance to cover any excess. carhire3000 is a multi-national company. One inaccurate quote doesn't mean the whole operation is dodgy.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
39 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

Decide for yourself... Their website clearly states that they do not charge cancellation fees. Yet they tried to charge me for canceling even after they confirmed that I had been 'misquoted'.

www.carhire3000.com/info/reviews/?cor=gb

Sorry too many coincedental 'misquotes' for me.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,665 posts
5,750 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

jadewin82,

Can you share with the forum, the drop off and pick-up points for your car rental? This might be helpful information.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
39 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

Pick up Port Elizabeth airport. Drop off Cape Town airport.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

jadewin82, did you make telephone booking to carhire.com in the UK or rental car.com in the USA?

I agree that you need to read the small print but they have always been helpful when we have rung with questions in the UK. They may belong to the same group but do they have the same telesales team?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: carhire3000 and rentalcars.com a huge scam - do not use!

We have also used carhire3000 loads of times including in South Africa and have never had a problem, the last visit we got Thrifty and i asked if we were fully covered for anything that could happen to the car and he replied that even if the car was a write off we would only have to pay a small admin fee.