We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunizations and "no excess" insurance with car hire

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Immunizations and "no excess" insurance with car hire

I will be in South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe in November and I have 3 quick questions:

1. Are there any immunizations I need for any of these places?

2. How necessary is it to take prophylactic anti-malaria pills (I know they often make you feel pretty darn sick)?

3. Is it necessary to purchase the "no excess" insurance coverage for car rental (my credit card has great international car rental coverage)?

Thank you!

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immunizations and "no excess" insurance with car hire

1. look up the CDC or the state dept website. You will probably need anti-maleria pills (see all discussion on line about it), I would never skip this. Generic Malarone is easily available in the US. You will need a Yellow Fever shot if you go into SA after visiting Zam, even for transit. Probably reccomend typhoid, polio and hep A depending on where you are going. Do your own research thru your dr or local travel clinic.

2. neccessary, total. Not too many issues with Malarone, except the price.

3. Where are you renting the car? and where are you taking it? The answer will probably depend on it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immunizations and "no excess" insurance with car hire

You'll need a Yellow Fever jab for going from Zambia to SA, even if just transiting. Always good to check you're up to date on the usual vaccinations and, as an option, to consider Hep A as you can get that disease anywhere, whether traveling or not.

November is a time when antimalarials are recommended by the SA Dept of Health. Lariam is the bad actor when it comes to side effects (psychological). Malarone's main side effects are on the GI system (but most have no issues) and on the wallet (unless covered by insurance). Doxycycline is inexpensive but is associated with sun sensitivity. Check with your doctor when making your decision.

Check with your insurance company at home and your credit card company to see if they extend coverage to your rental. Sometimes they exclude certain countries so you need to double-check.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immunizations and "no excess" insurance with car hire

My family took malaria pills for 20 days during our Africa trip. We took it everyday at the same time, which was just after dinner. None of us suffered any side effects.

My doctor said that there are 3 kinds of malaria pills. We took the kind my doctor said tend not to have side effects. We took the kind that starts one day before you enter an affected area, during, then 7 days after you leave the affect area.

I know another type of malaria will require you to take for 4 weeks after you leave the affected the area.

We bought the "No Excess" insurance. I think just for the peace of the mind when traveling overseas. We never purchase rental car insurance when traveling domestically.

4. Re: Immunizations and "no excess" insurance with car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:19