We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative route Cape Town

Dubbo, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alternative route Cape Town

Hi,

I am in the initial stages of planning a 4 week trip to SA and had a quick question. I was hoping someone could recommend an alternative route back to Cape Town from Addo Elephant Park. At this stage we are planning to fly into Cape Town spend a week or so around CT and the Cape Peninsula, maybe a week around Wilderness/Kynsta then up to Addo ....oh and maybe a stop at Bontebok NP.

SO as not to back track I am looking for another route back and wondering what other sites there would be to see. Are Mountain Zebra or Karoo worth a visit??? Where else could we go to fill on our four weeks down south??? Drakenburg Mtns look amazing but I suspect to far north for us (??)

I should add we are travelling with a 2 1/2 year which limits what we will be doing....despite the fact that he is a fantastic traveller.

THanks

M

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Addo Elephant National Park
Addo Elephant National...
Greater Addo, South Africa
Wilderness
Wilderness
Addo
Addo
Sundays River Valley, South Africa
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

Hi Marita

I assume you are flying from Sydney to J'burg then on to Cape Town. You could drive from Addo to Beaufort West to visit the Karoo. We enjoyed our stay at an old hunting lodge but wished we had longer to explore the area. To assist OP's what time of the year are you visiting? The Drakensbergs area is very scenic but weather dependent. We drove through the area last September on 3 week self drive trip from Kruger to Cape Town and as the fog rolled in it was v difficult to see the road. Next day was fine, however, I would not consider it in winter. Are you for some reason limited to the south? You do have a good amount of time to spend in this scenic and diverse country

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Addo
Addo
Beaufort West
Beaufort West
Nieu-Bethesda...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

the Karoo is great. www.karooheartland.co.za ,especially the Camdeboo including the Valley of Desolation and Nieu-Bethesda

Mentioned in this post
Valley of Desolation
Valley of Desolation
763 Reviews
Graaff-Reinet, South Africa
Dubbo, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

oh of course. We are travelling from end of Nov to end of Dec this year. It is a very last minute trip so quickly planned which resulted us booking flights to Cape Town via Jo'Burg in a rush...in hindsight maybe not the best idea. My thinking at the time was that I needed to stay south to get access to malaria free areas (with a toddler). Again I have since found out this is not so, mind you the private game reserves are well out of our budget up north anyway and as yet I haven't seen any cheap malaria free options in the north (but again very limited research).

Thanks both for your replies.

Cheers

M

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

Make sure you book all accommodation from 15th Dec onwards, especially from the first Friday after that. This is peak, peak season, as 80% of SA is on holiday. Inland is a lot less busy than the coast, though.

N2 to Port Elizabeth and R62 via Oudtshoorn and Barrydale back is a nice round trip. Mountain Zebra and Camdeboo National Park are well worth a visit.

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Camdeboo National Park
Camdeboo National Park
101 Reviews
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

I would add that Bontebok Park has limited interest for overseas visitors - unless you are camping. It's pretty, bontebok and zebras really do roam around, but it doesn't offer much more than that. If you are camping.. no need to pitch a tent. There are some lovely chalets there - sanparks.org/parks/…accommodation.php

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Dubbo, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

Thank you I will investigate your suggestions. I think I had Bontebok on the list because a friend went there with young ones and I recall her saying they had a great time in the sand dunes....

Dubbo, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

Allemammian - after reading your link to the Karoo I am very excited, it looks spectacular! I am thinking of basing myself in this area for about a week as we don't want to move around too much with the toddler in toe.

What would be a good spot to base ourselves to see Valley of Desolation, Nie Bethesda, Mountain Zebra NP, Karoo NP. I don't have a grasp of travel distances (that is my next job to research). Some of these sites we could see on route to Addo or coming from Cape Town if the distances are too great. Bearing on mind most of day outs are more likely to be half day outs if the boy needs to sleep.

Thanks so much for the link

Mentioned in this post
Valley of Desolation
Valley of Desolation
763 Reviews
Addo
Addo
Cape Town
Cape Town
Anniston, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

If you have time head up North to a town called Hoedspruit. This town is approximately 30 km from the Kruger National Park (KNP). You can drive yourself around KNP or leave your vehicle parked where you stay and take day guided trips that are quite cheap into the park. Although due to the holidays many places are booked and can be quite expensive try this website www.tambuzi.co.za. They have rooms available at budget prices located in a nice area in Hoedspruit approximately 17 km from town which is suitable for children. They can provide day trips into the Kruger or budget camping inside the KNP at affordable rates. Take a look. If interested contact them. I was impressed when I went budget camping with them. Cheers!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Hoedspruit
Hoedspruit
Limpopo Province, South Africa
Nieu-Bethesda...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

Nieu-Bethesda is a good base. It is about an hour from the Mountian Zebra Park and 40m from Graaff-Reinet and the Valley of Desolation.

The Karoo National Park near Beaufort West is 2h away, so better done on the way from Cape Town

Mentioned in this post
Graaff-Reinet
Graaff-Reinet
Valley of Desolation
Valley of Desolation
763 Reviews
Karoo National Park
Karoo National Park
299 Reviews
Beaufort West, South Africa
Beaufort West
Beaufort West
Cape Town
Cape Town
10. Re: Alternative route Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 06:19