We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questor Car Insurance

Poole, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questor Car Insurance

Hi

Has anyone used this company? The price seems a bit too good to be true £49.99

If you have used them, did you need to leave a deposit when you picked the car up?

Thanks

William

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questor Car Insurance

What sort of car insurance? Have never taken out any sort of car insurance when hiring other than the standard cover included in the rental rate. (Travel insurance policy covers the excess)

nyc
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questor Car Insurance

I used Questor a number of times. I had one claim when I rented a car thru Europcar in Portugal, and i had to pay an excess of 1000 euro. Within 2 days of sending all the relevant documents by email, the claim was approved, and I received a check shortly for that amount. My son also used them and had a claim which was promptly paid.

You will have to leave a deposit or cerdit card with the rental company and pay any excess, and then claim the money back from Questor. Make sure that you get an itemised bill for any repairs you pay for.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questor Car Insurance

I've been using them for years when I visit SA. Great company.

I'm an Avis Preferred customer & I pay in advance to get a cheaper price & don't have to queue when I collect the car.

Poole, Dorset
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questor Car Insurance

Thanks for the advice

William

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questor Car Insurance

Think you might have the wrong idea about the service Questor offer. They are not directly involved in car hire ie you can not hire a car from them.

Basically they offer "additional" insurance cover. The insurance offered by hie companies in South Africa if far from the "comprehensive" insurance you get in the UK for your own car (apart from negligence UK comprehensive covers all damage). In SA the hire companies offer Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Waiver. There are many ways a car can be damaged other than in a collision, so, other than a collision you would not be covered for damages. Also many SA hire companies insurance excludes damage to tyres/wheels/undercarriage and glass. Their Standard insurance usually carries a hefty excess (on any valid claim you would have to pay the first £????) Even their "Supercover/Totalcover or whatever term they use simply means you have the same CDW & Theft cover, with the same exclusions but with No Excess. Hope that clarifies the position with SA hire car insurance but please carefully read all the Terms and Conditions of any company you are thinking of hiring from.

Now Questor - they offer a completely independent and seperate additional insurance cover. In the event you had to make a claim in SA you would pay anything you were liable for (excess/glass/tyres/undercarriage etc direct to the car hire company. You would then make a claim on your Questor insurance for reimbursement of excess and/or any other items as listed.

I presume the £49.99 you quote is an annual world wide policy so you have to weigh up the cost of taking the top of the range insurance offered by the SA hire company or the saving you would make by taking the Standard insurance plus the Questor insurance.

As I normally hire two or three cars in SA plus possibly others in Europe during the year, I find it is a good deal and worthwhile. If you are just renting one car in SA then it is up to you if you want the extra cover.

Hope that makes sense but if any questions will try and answer them - the most important thing is to read the T & C's carefully and also read what Questor offer which is over and above the hire car insurance.

Poole, Dorset
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questor Car Insurance

Hi Somersetal

We are hiring from Hertz who we used last year in Canada. The £49.99 annual cover would give us a saving over what we pay when we pick the car up. Just trying to understand if the cover is the same, and is a sensible option

William

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questor Car Insurance

Yes, it is a very sensible option & much better value than the alternatives. I also missed the point of the previous, long reply.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questor Car Insurance

My apologies if I didn't make myself clear.

When you hire a car in SA you will be offered options by the hire company. 1) Their standard CDW/Theft policy or 2) an improved Supercover/Totalcover/Fullcover (or similar wording).

1) is a CDW/Theft cover with a hefty "excess" liability, can be up to the first £5000 of any claim depending on the type of car you hire and with certain exclusions (wheels/glass/undercarriage etc).

2) Obviously costs appreciably more and reduces the "excess" liability, sometimes the offer is zero excess and is still a CDW/Theft policy with certain exclusions.

You must accept one of these two options to hire a car.

Questor do not offer a full alternative ie CDW/Theft insurance policy, what they offer is and additional policy which will cover any excess you are liable for and in addition will cover some damage claims not covered by the hire car policy for example. tyre/wheel damage, glass and undercarriage damage.

If you have to make a claim you would pay any "excess" to the hire car company and claim it back from Questor (see also #2 from yoogah who confirms that is exactly what they did.)

So you have three options

1. Take the hire car standard insurance and risk paying large amounts of excess if you have a claim

2. Paying a greatly increased amount for a "Super" cover from the hire car company

3. Take the standard policy plus added protection by paying Questor for the additional cover they offer

Obviously if you have a travel insurance which will cover any excess like nicmeljones then the hire car standard cover is all you need.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questor Car Insurance

we have just taken out a policy with Questor. for a similar amount amount for a year. It was a few pounds dearer as there are 2 named drivers. It is much cheaper than the cover offered by the hire company in South Africa for 15 days. The proof in the pudding will be if we have a claim. However, several regular posters on this forum have used them.

Poole, Dorset
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questor Car Insurance

Thanks for clarifying :-)

William