We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help PLEASE getting started planning

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
170 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Need help PLEASE getting started planning

I have talked to my few lucky friends that have had the opportunity to visit Africa...read the guidebooks and visited numerous websites.

I am looking for a company that can handle planning everything from start to finish for my small group. Our main goal is to go on safari. I have always wanted to go to Kenya for the migration but I think after all my research we are going to plan our trip in S. Africa.

Can anyone recommend a company that can plan a custom full service itinerary just for us that is top notch but not exorbitant.

Some of the ones that look interesting from my research in the Fodors guide are....

Africa Adventure

Explore Africa

Roar

Premier Tours

Wilderness Safari

Just too many

Please help

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

Hello, i am not familiar with some of the companies on your list. Some, however, differ vastly in pricing. Sorry, but you will have to do your homework here to look for value for money. You can get it, just dont take the first option and if something appeals to you in terms of itinerary, get another quote, you wont be sorry...

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

You could contact tanya@africadirect.co.za for an individual planned trip, based on your budget.

Africa Direct is a very reputable company and Tanya always receives the best comments.

www.africadirect.co.za

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
170 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

Thanks for your reply

That is one of the problems I am having. I can't tell why they vary so much in price when on paper they look similar. What should I be asking?

4. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 13:35
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

The only name I know on your list is Wilderness, they run some amazing camps and are pretty big in Africa, have you looked at their website?

>>>>>I can't tell why they vary so much in price when on paper they look similar. What should I be asking?<<<<

There must be differences, although have no idea what sort of $ you are talking about. If the itineraries vary so much in price then certain aspects must be different.....

Are airfares included?

How do you get from place to place, is it by a group transfer, private transfer vehicle, plane?

Planes mean less time travelling but cost more.

Are there meals included?

Are there drinks included?

Where does the tour start and finish?

Are entries included to attractions, parks etc?

Is tipping extra or included?

What standard is the accommodation, hotels and game lodges for example can be any price you want to name, from $100 per night to $3000+?

Do you have a personal guide taking you around or are you in a big inflexible group?.

How are game drives done, private vehicle, safari jeep, or bus?

Where are the game lodges situated and which parks do they visit, vast public parks ran by the government or smaller and expensive private concessions?

These are just a few thoughts of the top of my head, you should be asking these and lots more. South Africa is a very easy country to visit, thousands do it every year and plan and book it all themselves. Do you know where you want to visit and have you chosen any places to stay?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
170 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

Thank you so much....this is why I love TA.

I am researching the general areas we want to visit first and then properties.

We all still work so we can only be away 12 to 14 days max including travel time from the States.

I have been saving my points for years so we plan on using Delta but I haven't looked at schedules.

We are thinking July. We have a group of 8 (3 of those teenagers) for sure but might have 12 to 16. I am thinking the more we have the lower the cost.

Not sure the best order but I am sure the company I choose will be able to help on that

3 days Kruger

3 days Botswana (or 2 days in 2 different locations)

1 day Falls

3 days Cape Town

Our goal is to see as much as possible since it will be a very...very long time before we could ever afford this type of trip again

Thanks again for any help

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

To include all of the above in just 10 days of travel, you are going to be spending alot of time getting to places rather than spending it at places. If you want to include the falls I'd look at 2 nights at Vic falls, 2 nights in Chobe and then either Kruger and Panorama route for 5/6 nights or Cape Town not both areas. To include anything else in Botswana like the delta is going to eat up alot of your time and in my opinion is not practical, flights are in-frequent, travel times long etc. To be honest I'd stick to just SA for only 10days.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

Hi again

I agree with Miki a lot of this time will be taken up in travelling, which you really need to account for. As much as you want to see all you can is there much point if half your holiday will be spent on transfers, planes and airport waiting areas?

Out of 4 days in Bots, possibly two will be travel.

Same with CT/Kruger.

With only ten days I too would be looking at spending it all just one country. This means you would really have to prioritise what you want to see. To me Cape Town needs at least 4 days to get a good experience, same for Kruger. Botswana even more by time you include Chobe, the Delta and add the falls.

If you are really keen to see the falls, maybe as Miki says do that with Chobe over 4 days then the rest of the time doing the Kruger area. Or maybe 4 days each Kruger and CT then the falls at the end just for a brief visit. Overall though I think may have to make some sacrifices.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

I would agree that's way too much for 10 days. I would stick to SA with that time frame, but whatever you decide do only one country (SA or Bots perhaps with a night in VF if it's that important). I've traveled several times with Green Bushpig Safaris and would highly recommend them. They can individualize your trip dependent on group size, interests, etc.

10. Re: Need help PLEASE getting started planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:19