We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six Month Validity on Passport

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
58 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Six Month Validity on Passport

Hi

We're arriving into South Africa in late October, and staying for a week. My wife's passport will only have about 5 months validity left on it by then. The links I've seen recommend six months validity from the expected date of departure. Does anyone know if this is enforced?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Six Month Validity on Passport

There have been reports on here of people who have been refused entry inot SA because they didn't have a full 6 months validity on their passport. Also the airline you are flying from UK to SA with may deny boarding because if they allow your wife to fly out and if the SA authorities deny entry, the airline are fined and are responsible for returning your wife to UK. She may not encounter a problem but I certainly wouldn't risk it.

She can renew her passport any time from now and will not lose the remaining 1 or 2 months validity.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
58 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six Month Validity on Passport

Ok, thanks for that. We should have time, we've another holiday to squeeze in before that, but would have about 5 weeks to turn the passport around. It's an Irish passport, which makes it slightly harder.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Six Month Validity on Passport

On south african visitors visa page is stated that is required only 30 days valability of passport after return date. You should be fine. We travel this month and one of us has only 3 months left after return date.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six Month Validity on Passport

However some Airlines will not allow you to travel unless you have 6 months on your Passport, so not worth the risk of being refused passage.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
58 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six Month Validity on Passport

Thanks again. I've now checked on the KLM site, and that confirms the 30 days figure.

6. Re: Six Month Validity on Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16