We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Exchange

Leeds, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Money Exchange

I wondered if anyone could advise me... would I get a better exchange rate if I exchanged money before travelling to South Africa from a post office in the uk, at the airport in the uk, or once in South Africa???! I am going in 2 weeks and the exchange rate is currently around 1 pound= 15-16 rand.... Many thanks.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Exchange

You will invariably get a better rate of exchange in South Africa. If you do want to change any in the UK I always find the someone like www.ice.co.uk give a better rate than the Post Office/banks/airport. Today they quote 15.33 Zar - £1.

To get a comparison I usually look at a South African news website, www.iol.co.za/business unfortunately they are having a problem just at the moment, may be worth having a look later this afternoon.

I normally find that in SA the rate is 0.5 to 1.0 Rand higher than in UK which of course all adds up if you are changing a fair amount.

Finally, just in case it affects you, you can only take ZAR5000 per person into SA. No restriction on gb pounds/travellers cheques.

I find the best and safest method is to use my debit card as and when I need cash, saves carrying large amounts around in SA and there are plenty of ATM's available.

If you do plan on using your debit/credit card in SA be sure to advise your bank/card supplier otherwise you may find they "freeze" your card if they suddenly find transactions taking place overseas without prior warning.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Exchange

I ummed and ahhed over this so much before we went last month! In the end, I left it too late to do anything except use UK debit cards for purchases and at ATMs and we got great exchange rates through the bank, up to R16.1.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Exchange

You won't do any better than using your bank card at an ATM. Get some Rands at the airport ATM after landing, which usually has a bit of a limit on what you can withdraw, then get more at bank ATMs.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 15:07
Leeds, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Exchange

Great thank you very much for the advice!

5. Re: Money Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:24