We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

I am a US citizen traveling to South Africa. At the end of my trip, I will be leaving Johannesburg to go up to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe by plane. I will be crossing into Zambia for one day (evidently across a bridge?). Will I need to produce a yellow fever certificate on my way back into Johannesburg? I will be returning by plane to Johannesburg through Zimbabwe as well.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

Yes you do need the yellow fever certificate.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

Yes

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

Honestly I can say that of all my clients that have flown from Zimbabwe to Joburg after previously being in Zambia for one afternoon or one week, none have been asked for the certificate.

Only my clients boarding flights from Livingstone to Joburg and vice versa have been asked for the certificate.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

I don't think anyone can say for sure that a South African official will ask for your YF certificate on transiting back from Zimbabwe through JNB. However, SA's policy is that visitors to Zambia passing through SA are required to have proof of the jab. For that reason I tell those visiting Zambia to have the vaccination if going to/through SA.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

If you board a plane in Zim to South Africa they don't ask for yellow fever certificates.

I do not know of one single instance of that happening.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

If you board a plane in Zim to South Africa they don't ask for yellow fever certificates.

I do not know of one single instance of that happening.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

Gemma, I hope you know that my comment (post #4) was not addressing yours (post #3) (as you can see we posted at exactly the same time, so I was unaware of what you had written). I was trying to make the point that while visitors/transiting passengers may not be asked for the certificate when coming from Zim---and in your experience that has been zero---South Africa's Yellow Fever policy is quite explicit when it comes to Zam. An official looking at a passport (and I think this happens when transiting as well as when entering) and seeing a visa from Zam could, with respect to the policy, cause a problem. So there is a risk of a hassle though that risk may be small, vanishingly small in your experience.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

I called the Health Representative Minister at the Embassy of South Africa in Washington DC and she told me that if you are traveling from Zambia and just connecting flights (and not officially entering SA), you do not need a yellow fever vaccine. I asked for that in writing and she has not responded.

In two weeks I am spending a few days in Zambia then connecting through the JNB airport then flying home to the US. I have talked to several friends who say they they had similar flights and were never asked for proof of yellow fever vaccine. SN618, did they check for your yellow fever vaccine papers when you went?

Thanks

9. Re: Do I need a yellow fever shot to return? One day in Zambia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:17