We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermanus or De Kelders

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Hermanus or De Kelders

Hi everyone

I'm coming to South Africa in mid-October for my honeymoon. We've got just over 2 weeks in South Africa - we're going on safari for 5 nights, then going to Cape Town for 4 nights and Franschoek for 2 nights. I have another 2 nights spare and I really would love to do shark diving and whale watching so I was thinking of staying in the Hermanus / De Kelders area for 2 nights so one day we could do shark diving and the next whale watching. I would really appreciate any recommendations on somewhere special to stay? I was looking at Auberge Provence in Hermanus but I wonder if it would be better to be nearer Gansbaai?

Many thanks in advance for all your help,

Lottie

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

Hi Lottie

Of course everyone has their own opinions but for us it would definitely be De Kelders. Depends what you like but we loved the quite atmosphere and stunning location, compared with Hermanus which was much more touristy and busy, which of course you may possibly prefer.

We arrived in the early afternoon, walked in to the room and saw whales immediately right across the street.

The next morning we were up early for the shark dive and were very happy that it was barely a ten minute drive to Gansbaai where the boats leave from.

We were back at the lodge in time to spend the rest of the day lounging around our gorgeous room, and all the while watching whales bobbing around in the bay.

It was wonderful to be able to do this from our balcony and very relaxing after being on the go all the time travelling. We stayed at Whale Sanctuary Lodge which would be ideal for a honeymoon, only six rooms, and the Orca suite on the top level was beautiful.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

I would also suggest to stay over in De Kelders. Much better views for land based whale watching and also shark cage diving is just around the corner. Seeing that you only have 2nights to do this in, you better be prepared for the weather as well. Shark cage diving trips is depending on the weather conditions. The only other thing is also, that from De Kelders you will not be able to do a boat based whale watching trip but it can be arranged from Gansbaai as well.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

We stayed in Hermanus and drove 30 mins to visit De Kelders for the day. That way we could go out to a nice restaurant and stay in a nice hotel in Hermanus while seeing the whales just off shore in De Kelders during the day.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

You really do need to stay in De Kelders. I live here myself part of the year - and happen to be here right now. Both the shark boats and the whale boat are just a few minutes away and sunsets are magic.

Sea has too rough for whale viewing or sharks most of the past week but surely it will all calm down by the time you would be here. Places to stay that I know very well and can recommend would be Umnenge Lodge, De Kelders B&B, Cliff Lodge, Marebella, Haus Giotto. Something for any budget. I know all the owners personally and can promise you will be pleased whichever you might choose.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

Thank you so much everybody for your advice. Unfortunately a lot of places are booked up for our dates but we have managed to find somewhere which looks really lovely called 'Crayfish Lodge.'

I was just wondering if you could possibly recommend any places to eat whilst we're there? We're staying in De Kelders for the last 2 nights of our honeymoon so we'd like to find somewhere special for each night. Would you recommend venturing into Hermanus or are there lovely places to eat in De Kelders?

The restaurant at Grootbos has been recommended to us - has anyone any thoughts on this?

Many thanks again

Charlotte

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

There is not that many places to choose from in De Kelders and the drive from De Kelders to Hermanus is about 40mins, which is not too bad.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

Hi Charlotte

DeKelders does not exactly offer a lot of eating options ! Personally I wouldnt drive all the way to Hermanus though.

We were there two nights. The first night we stayed in and had a nice relaxing dinner in the room overlooking the water, made up of various bread and cheese [and wine!] and other delicacies etc we had picked up in Hermanus. [Maybe a nice honeymoon option].

On our second night the lodge restaurant was closed so the manager booked us in at a local restaurant that I think was technically in Gansbaai, it was on the road in between, maybe 5 minutes or so drive.

It was called Rosemarys or Rosemary on Thyme. It was a funny old fashioned place with a lovely hostess and great food.

I just found it is even on this site with great reviews. Worth a visit and so close.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g472522-d154…

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

The Garden Lodge restaurant at Grootbos is very good and would almost certainly fall into the category of special although I don't know how much they charge for non- residents. I can't comment on the Forest Lodge restaurant. Garden Lodge serves a 5 course dinner. The choices are fairly limited to 3 for starter, main and dessert, with the other courses being fixed, but what they do, they do well, with good flavours and presentation. The wine list is virtually all local Overberg wines and the Zimbabwean wine waiter was very knowledgeable on the wineries and the wines when we dined there last month.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

Correction here

The restaurant name is ‘Thyme on Rosemary’, not ‘Rosemary on Thyme’ !

Edited: 26 September 2013, 23:49
10. Re: Hermanus or De Kelders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18