We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

We will be visiting South Africa in June 2014. We have arranged most of the trip I.e. fly to Polokwane and then stays at Madhi a Thavha ( Louis Trichardt ), Mopane Bush Lodge near Mapungubwe, Wild at Tuli ( Tuli Block ) and then back to Mopane Bush Lodge. This leaves us with four nights before we fly home from Polokwane. We plan to hire a car for this time. Transport for the rest of the trip has been arranged, as this is our first visit to South Africa and we felt more comfortable doing this. Any suggestions for our final four nights gratefully received!

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

Hi there,

Its rare to see people visiting my hometown of Louis Trichardt -- wow! I hear great thinga bout Madhi a Thavha so you are in for a treat!

I like the Tzaneen area - it is lush with tea and fruit farms and has gorgeous drives and views. There is also a great art/cultural route in Venda that may interest you.

I would seriously consider doing a self-drive safari in Kruger. Enter Phalaborwa and spend 2 nights in Shingwedzi and another two in either Olifants or Satara. You will have a lot of fun exploring the Park on your own. Camps like Satara book up fast, so please make plans soon and book early if you can.

Check out: http://sanparks.co.za/parks/kruger/

I hope this helps with your planning.

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Boston & Hazyview

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

As it so happens I'm going up to the Magoebaskloof-Tzaneen area next week for a short break. I haven't been up there for a few years but Heeten has described it just as I remember it. I'll post my hot-off-the-press impressions next week if you like.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

Thanks Heeten. AuntieFr0mJ0zie, it would be great to hear up to date info about the area.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

Hello, you could also ask Marcelle at Madi a Thavha to help you put together a program over 2, 3 or 4 days including cultural visits in the Venda country or visiting an extraordinary site of rock art at the Makgabeng near Bochum (www.makgabenglodge.com) .There Fortune and Lorraine would take good care of you as they are very enthusiastic and eager to welcome tourists, and they work closely with one of the leading rock art experts in the region.He could take you up on the mountain to explore the sites.

That way you would definitely continue your trip "off the beaten path".

Do not hesitate to pm me for additional info.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

Thanks Caviar. Your reviews have been very helpful and it was one of these that made me look at Madhi A Thavha. We will be staying there for three nights so will be asking them to arrange some trips. I also saw your review of Makgabeng and would have considered it, but maybe next time!

Our present arrangements are that we will be driven to Polokwane after our second stay at Mopane Bush Lodge, and collect a car there. I thought, however, that it might be an option to rent a car in Musina. I have some reservations as to how much we would enjoy Kruger after the much less " touristy" Tuli Block but as I have never visited this is only guesswork.

Sorry I cannot pm you. My level of computer literacy is very low, don't know how to do it!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

Easy. Double click on the blue name under the person's&c pic. Their personal page pops up. Scroll down on the left to send message and click. Fill in the message box that pos up and press send.

You will know when you have a reply or message as it tells you at the top of this screen. Click at the top to read it.

I am following this post as we drove through Polokwane and up to Pafuri river camp in July. The area was a total surprise and I for one plan to go back and spend more time there (including camping).

Enjoy.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

PM just means personal message. Assuming you are using a computer and not a mobile phone, just click on caviar's name next to his post, or on his picture (also known as an avatar). This will take you to his profile. If you scroll down, there is an option on the left-hand side to "Send a message".

If you are on a mobile device you will have to go to the full, desktop site first. You do this by going to the list of forum posts, clicking on the little green and white square at the top left-hand side of the screen, and selecting "Full site" from the list of options.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

Safarifiend

I didid look at this camp, sounds good. Not sure but I think this was badly affected by floods earlier this year? In what way was the area a " total surprise " ? Do you know how easy it would be to drive through Kruger from Pafuri to Punda Maria or Phalaborwa and how long it would take? Thought this might be an option, with some overnights to allow time in the area.

By the time we reach this stage of the trip it will be July, not sure how the school holidays might affect things.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

I second the recommendations that you ask for input about the cultural touring in Venda country. Relatively few overseas visitors know about it, nor go there. It is a sort of 'hidden' place on the tourism map, but has a lot to offer.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Kruger or Tzaneen area?

We did this trip in reverse a couple of years ago staying in the Kruger first and Mapungubwe last. Kruger and Tzaneen are areas we have visited many times but it was our first trip to Mapungubwe which is spectacular. We loved the remoteness of it and it had the most luxurious sanparks accommodation we have ever stayed in. To vary the trip between the two we stayed first of all at Blyde River Canyon Lodge in Hoedspruit and did some walking around the dam. Then we stayed in Agatha outside Tzaneen which has spectacularr views and good walks, Tzaneen town itself is not much, just a centre for shopping. It would be a great shame for you to be so near the Kruger and not visit as th experience would be very different; I would also suggest Satara as the game viewing around is, in our experience, the very best.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 13:20