We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 2.5 hrs enought to transfer between terminals??

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
140 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Is 2.5 hrs enought to transfer between terminals??

Dear All,

We are planing a family trip to South Africa in January. Our international flight arrives in Johansberg at 6.30 am in the morning. Our onward domestic flight to George is at 9 am? Do you think we will have enough time to transfer from international to the domestic terminal? We will be traveling with two small kids and most likely we have to clear immigration, collect our luggage and re check at the domestic terminal.

Any advice on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Ram

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 2.5 hrs enought to transfer between terminals??

You will be fine. Plenty of time and once you get through the formalities it is only a 5 minute walk to domestic as it is all under one roof and quite compact.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 2.5 hrs enought to transfer between terminals??

You really have plenty of time. As already mentioned above the terminals are very close to each other and easy to reach.

Regards

Michelle - Owner - Cape Town Guide

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 2.5 hrs enought to transfer between terminals??

Here's a little more detail. After you have your baggage and walk into the Ground floor of the Terminal, your next stop will be a check-in counter on the 2nd Floor, and all the way to your left. You may take an elevator up, or walk all the way to the left to the end of the building where you will see moving sidewalks that take you up. First, to the 1st Floor. Then, up to the 2nd Floor. There will be a big lighted board with the flight number, destination, time of departure, and a set of numbers such as B102-114. These will be the counter numbers where you may check in for that flight. Use any of them.

IMPORTANT - Also on that Ground Floor there is a small branch of the ABSA bank on the left as you walk toward the moving sidewalks. There are 3 ATMs there, and if you are not hurried, this would be a good time to obtain SA rand, making a withdrawal from your bank back in Sri Lanka, if it's possible.

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
140 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 2.5 hrs enought to transfer between terminals??

Thanks everyone. This is great. So I have just bought the tickets online. So now looking at the return flights from Cape Town on 20th January. Since we will be moving from domestic to international this time, do you think, a 3 hr transit time will suffice??

@bwanadave: I am yet to do my research on currency exchange in SA, but was thinking of bringing us $ in cash and change at airport or outside depending on the exchange rates. Do you mean I will get a better rate if I withdraw money from my savings account??? if that's the case, may be it would be better to use my $ account in states rather than a local rupee account in Sri Lanka I guess??

Cheers,

Ram

5. Re: Is 2.5 hrs enought to transfer between terminals??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:18