We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

We are travelling from Cape Town to Kgalagadi on Sunday 13th Oct, we were hoping to spend a few hours exploring the west coast around the Paternoster area and maybe stop for lunch. Can anyone recommend the best places to visit or to avoid as we only have time for short stay for 2 or 3 hours maybe. We will be breaking the journey with an overnight in Calvinia.

Many thanks

Martyn & Linda

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

Ok I give up, sorry I asked. We'll sort ourselves out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

We stayed overnight in Paternoster last September. We walked around the village, took a walk along the beach and drove into the Cape Columbine nature reserve, which is 5km from town. The reserve covers an area of 263 hectare along the rocky stretch of coastline. The bay, which is part of the reserve, has many picnic spots and braai facilities. Also you may want to visit the Columbine light house located in this reserve. It is supposed to open at 10 am each day, but we waited until 10.20 then gave up. The Cape Columbine light house is the last manually controlled lighthouse in South Africa, it was built in 1936 on Castle Rock. It is usually the first South African lighthouse seen by ships coming from Europe. Paternoster is very quaint with unusual white washed houses, more like what you would see in the Greek islands. If you stop for lunch here, some of the local restaurants offer crayfish which is the local seasonal speciality.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

Martyn

Please give us chance to reply!

You can easily spend a few hours in Paternoster, wandering around

A good place for lunch would be Oep ve Koep. It is inside the whitewahed shop, at the crossroads just as you come into the village

Noisy Oyster would also be a good choice for lunch. However, I know it's shut on a Sunday evening, but not sure about lunchtime

An alternative would be to drive through the West Coast National Park and stop for lunch at the restaurant inside the park

Lisa

Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

It is quite a treck to Paternoster off the N7 to break your journey. Also you would need to return to the N7 to continue as the road from Paternoster up the coast is gravel only. So all in all a round trip of just under 2 hours to add to your journey. If possible better to stay the night as it is well worth it but IMO not worth the detour timewise. Also as already mentioned by Lisa the N7 is not a pleasant road to drive with all the lorries and trucks going to Namibia. Last February we were stopped on it for three quarters of an hour as they did police checks on all vehicles, licences and insurances which held us up on our journey.

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

Many Thanks for the replies, sorry for my impatience. We are breaking our journey to Upington in Calvinia, so maybe the detour will be more feasible. Could be an option to drive along the coast from CT and see where it takes us before making our way back to the main route north, then across to Calvinia.

Thanks again

Martyn & Linda

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

Just the drive via Paternoster from CPT to Calvinia will be almost 7 hours as you'll have to back track a bit to get back onto the N7. Stopping for 3 hours means you'll have a 10 hour day of driving, if this doesn't bother you then go for it! . Otherwise my suggestion is that you rather look at visiting one of these two following places for breakfast/coffee: Yzerfontein or Darling. Or even better Citrusdal/Clanwilliam, which is the gateway to the Cederberg, here you could have lunch and even do a quick hiking trail to view some of the bushman paintings if that is something that would interest you, look at the sevilla rock art trail - closer to clanwilliam, which is only 4km to view most sights.

southafrica.net/trade/en/articles/entry/arti…

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

Thanks for that miki, I think we are coming to the conclusion that Paternoster and the west coast might be a trip to far, much better as you say to do a couple of stop offs that are actually on route, though we are used to driving long distances, we will have our daughter and husband with us, and they may not appreciate hours in the back of a car.

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

Apologies for my grumpy reply Saturday night, I'm from Manchester and Saturday was a bad day football wise, drowning my sorrows with a glass or 2 when I wrote.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

Martyn

No worries! I'm from Leeds so the score had the opposite effect on me!

Paternoster is quite a trek on your long drive, even though it's one of my favourite spots in the Western Cape

How about a trip to Lamberts Bay. This isn't as pretty but the coast still has that West Coast beauty. There is the Muisbosskerm - think that's how you spell it, which is a big fish BBQ on the beach

Lisa

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to visit on the west coast around Paternoster

Thanks Lisa, I did notice Leeds in your first post, our daughter lives in Horsforth which is bit like home from home for us.

I have noticed on the map that Lamberts Bay was closer to the N7, and on my map it has a red line under it which means a place of interest.

Think we will just see how it goes on the day and how far we get, though maybe Paternoster is going to be a non starter due to the distance from our main route.

Thanks again