We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

Dubbo, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

Hi Guys,

Another few questions...

I am interested in going to either (or both) of the Cheetah Outreach centre near Stellenbosch or Tenikwa outside of Plett. But I had a few questions:

1. From an animal ethics point of view how well run are each of the centres? I am very interested in hearing about their conservation efforts but not if they are dodgy.

2. Which centre is the best to visit?? Is it worth going to both?

Cheers

M

Mentioned in this post
Cheetah Outreach
Cheetah Outreach
725 Reviews
Somerset West, South Africa
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Western Cape, South Africa
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

Haven't visited the Cheetah Outreach at Tenikwa so cannot comment. You say the one near Stellenbosch - it used to be located on the Spier Wine Estate near Stellenbosch but last year re-located to near Somerset West (see www.cheetah.co.za). We weren't particularly impressed when we visited but they had only just re-opened so maybe things are better now. Maybe someone who has recently visited may offer more info but mainly wanted to advise you of their re-location.

Mentioned in this post
Cheetah Outreach
Cheetah Outreach
725 Reviews
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

Hi Marita

This is one of those much debated topics and it depends how you feel.

Personally I cannot support anywhere that puts these sort of magnificent creatures on a harness and lead just for humans to walk and get a photo op, makes me feel sick.

It's Africa after all, why not enjoy the wildlife how and where its meant to be, in the wild.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

If you care about conservation, you will go to places that provide land for animals, not have some captive breeding program, where the cheetahs will eat their cubs, unless the cubs are removed from them shortly after birth. Animals don't need help breeding. All animals know how to do this. What they need is land to live on. If you care about conservation, rather spend your money on visiting a game reserve.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

Well a very good one is near Johannesburg. De wildt, chetaah research center. They also breed wild dogs. A. Very nice place to go and well managed.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 16:17
Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

We recently visited the Cheetah Outreach at the new location, in Somerset West, which is about an hour outside of Cape Town.

We enjoyed our visit. We booked a private Cheetah walk. It was a surprise birthday gift for my 10-year-old who always loved Cheetahs. The walk was about an hour long, on a beach. The beach was on their property, so it was just the four of us, plus the two handlers, and two volunteers the whole time.

We also got a tour of their main center, and learn about what they do (It was a lot more than just a breeding program). It was easy to see that the handlers and the volunteers that worked there all loved their animals, and were passionate about they do.

The Cheetah walk was a very special experience.

Mentioned in this post
Cheetah Outreach
Cheetah Outreach
725 Reviews
Somerset West
Somerset West
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

We visited Cheetah Outreach previously, when it was still at Spier, and enjoyed it very much.

We were staying very close to Tenikwa this year but after I checked it out, I wasn't happy to visit following an incident a couple of years back where a visitor was attacked.

Mentioned in this post
Cheetah Outreach
Cheetah Outreach
725 Reviews
Plettenberg Bay
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

Hello there, I am the owner of Tenikwa Wildlife Centre and wish to add my 2 pennies worth to your question. Both Cheetah Outreach and Tenikwa are Institutional Members of PAAZAB and thus we both comply with a strict code of ethics and are recognised organisations with the nature authorities. If I can take the liberty to talk on behalf of Cheetah Outreach, in my opinion, Cheetah Outreach particularly does fantastic and valuable work in education to work with children exposing them to cheetahs and other endangered animals by cleverly incorporating their awareness program into the curriculum. Children will grow up to shape our future. By supporting them, you support their conservation efforts and they actively work to support wild cheetah populations in Namibia where there is sufficient genepool to allow them to survive into the future. By going to Tenikwa, you support an active and much needed wildlife rehabilitation program putting wild animals back into the wild. I think it is a no-brainer that we would all love to see wild animals in the wild, but what about the wild animals that are not afforded the protection of national parks and game reserves? Someone has to deal with the serious issues with human/wildlife conflict and animals on our suburban fringes as human populations grow. Unfortunately, it is not a perfect world out there. Our programs are different, and do not overlap. If you love cats, want to contribute directly to the complex issue of conservation in South Africa and have the time, visit us both.

Mentioned in this post
Cheetah Outreach
Cheetah Outreach
725 Reviews
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Ratby
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

Its good to here from the horses mouth so to speak about the work done. I for one have no problem with anyone trying to save the animals of the world in anyway possible. I have heard it said that the bottom line is the survival of the fitess, if thats the case the only animal left will be humans....what a poor world that would be. Keep up the good work.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

Greg you are right and I could not possibly agree any stronger with your statement about trying to save the animals.

However as has been debated so many times before it comes down to what you consider to be saving.

Do you think keeping animals in cages or strapping a collar and lead on to a cheetah is good conservation, many people apparently do...

'we offer a walk with the Tenikwa Cheetahs'

'We got to see a lot of cats and got into the cages with a lot of them, including the cheetahs'

'Nothing could have prepared us for the experience of walking fully grown Cheetahs on a lead'

Need I say more

10. Re: Cheetah Outreach Centre OR Tenikwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 07:18