We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

My family and I will be driving from Johannesburg to Lesotho in a few weeks and I am interested in the best (safest) places to stop for simple provisions such as basic groceries, etc in Free State.

It seems we will be passing through Villiers, Frankfort, Bethlehem, Fouriesburg as well as smaller towns along the way.

I appreciate any advice you might have as to the safest towns where we might stop for groceries, petrol, etc. (our car, by necessity, will contain all our possessions, in the boot of course).

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

It is fairly easy to identify safe areas to stop. Are there other customers? Is the property generally maintained? Do you see families, couples, and women? If you see a cross section of ages and sexes that is good. If you see a group of young men just loitering, drive on. The same factors that would cause you to stop, or not stop, at a shopping area in the USA or Canada will generally speaking work in South Africa. You will pass by readily usable shopping centers in most, or all, medium and large towns.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Spar supermarkets www.spar.co.za are generally your best bet in our smaller towns. There will be filling stations in all those towns as well.

Sensible advice in the previous post.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Hello and all good advise is above, but the Spar website is a great place to locate stores. I spent 6 weeks traveling in KZN back in 2006 working on my website and used Spar where ever I could.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Thank you to all of you for the sensible advice!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Have a wonderful trip and if you get chance take a look at KwaZulu Natal, you will be very close.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Thank you and absolutely - we have 5 nights planned in KZN! Can't wait!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Ah sounds great, can I ask where in KZN you are visiting? My wife originates from there and we visit her folks at least once a year. Its a stunning province!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Mark - we have one night in Nottingham Road and 4 nights in St. Lucia.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

Lovely, I will have to wait until Feb before we get back there. My in-laws live very close to Nottingham Road, the midlands are very pretty. I love St Lucia and have been there several times. Loads to do up that way. Not sure on your plans but if you get chance try and visit Imfolozi game reserve, thats if you are not planning game viewing elsewhere. If you need free info & maps take a look at my site.

Mark - Owner - Safarikzn

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safest place to stop for provisions in Free State

HI mark,

we were thiking of flying Joburg to Nelspuruit then staying a few days in Hazyview from where we would drive into Kruger on 2 days and explore the Panorama Route for one day. . Recentley there has been some negative reports on the high crime in Hazyview, that ,together with the long day drive and possible overnight stop from Nelspruit to St. Lucia , we are thinking of missing out the Hazyview/Kruger part altogether.

We have been twice to Kenya on safari, am going to Etosha in a few weeks time , and have been to a private reserve in the Eatern Cape, so are not too worried about missing the Kruger.

However, we are taking our daughter and husband with us so would like to see some game if only a day trip into Hluwewe /Imfolozi and perhaps spend the rest of the time around the beaches, Battlefields, Drakensburg. If we have a few days we could also incorporate a couple of days around Victoria falls.

Do you think Kruger and Panorama are too good to miss given my othere suggestion?