We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

Hi all, my soon-to-be wife will be visiting SA for our honey moon shortly. :)

This is what we have booked at the moment, just wondering if you guys could have a quick look/review and possible offer any advice/recommendations?

For the last week we are planning to drive from Swaziland to Cape Town along the coast as we heard there are great scenic routes. Could you guys let us know if this is a good idea?

Day 01: Arrive in Johannesburg

Day 02: Flamingo Bay, Mozambique

Day 03: Flamingo Bay, Mozambique

Day 04: Flamingo Bay, Mozambique

Day 05: Flamingo Bay, Mozambique

Day 06: Massinga Bay, Mozambique

Day 07: Massinga Bay, Mozambique

Day 08: Massinga Bay, Mozambique

Day 09: Check out, back to Johannesburg, start driving to Kruger (stay somewhere, recommendation?)

Day 10: Drive from stop over to Rhino Walking Safari camp

Day 11: Rhino Walking Safari

Day 12: Rhino Post Lodge

Day 13: Rhino Post Lodge

Day 14: Check out, drive to Gomo Gomo Safari Lodge

Day 15: Gomo Gomo Safari Lodge

Day 16: Gomo Gomo Safari Lodge

Day 17: Check out, drive to Swaziland (stay somewhere, recommendations?)

Day 18: Safari-iSamangaliso (4 night Zuzuland Heritage Tour)

Day 19: Bush,Beach (4 night Zuzuland Heritage Tour)

Day 20: Safari-Hluluwe Umfolozi (4 night Zuzuland Heritage Tour)

Day 21: Safari-Cheeta Park & Zulu Village (4 night Zuzuland Heritage Tour)

Day 22: Check out, begin drive to Cape Town

Day 23: route, accommodation recommendations?

Day 24: route, accommodation recommendations?

Day 25: route, accommodation recommendations?

Day 26: route, accommodation recommendations?

Day 27:route, accommodation recommendations?

Day 28: Arrive in Johannesburg, fly home.

Thank you in advance for any help or responses!

Thanks,

Andy

1. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 October 2013, 16:35
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

Hi Andy

Wow, congratulations. When is the big day?

Your itinerary looks great!

Firstly, what time does your flight from Moz land on day 9? You might not want to get straight in a car and start driving to Kruger. Just a thought.

Personally I wouldn't take a private car into the Kruger if you are staying at those lodges. You are paying for your car just to sit around; maybe drop off your hire car outside Kruger and the lodge can fetch you. Then they can transfer you to your next lodge and that lodge can then take you out of the park again to pick up a car.

I presume you are self-driving on your Zululand Heritage Tour? You already booked all the accommodation?

Then, the time from Swaziland down to Cape Town will be quite a long but wonderful journey. I do feel that it will be slightly rushed but not to panic.

Swaziland to Durban will take about 6 - 7 hours with pitstops on route. I then suggest you spend 1 night in Durban on he beachfront - possibly Beverly Hills Hotel.

Then Durban to East London will be about 9 hours with pitstops. Spend 1 night there before continuing onto Knysna for 2 nights. Consider Turbine Hotel.

Continue onto Swellendam which is about 4 hours with pitstops. Stay at Schoone Oordt. And then make the final leg to Cape Town where you can spend your final night before you fly back to Johannesburg and home. The drive from Swellendam to Cape Town is about 2 - 3 hours with pitstops. In Cape Town I suggest the V&A Hotel as it is located in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront which has lots of shopping and restaurants.

Good luck!

Jenni | Owner | Southey Travel | South Africa

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

Hello and I see you have booked your KwaZulu Natal part already, shame you are not staying at Thonga Beach Lodge, or maybe you are? If you are there soon you may catch the end of the whale season and the beginning of the turtle season. Its a wonderful area with stacks to do and see! Have a great trip.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

Overall your itinerary looks great. For Day 9 I suggest you stay over in either Dullstroom or Graskop depending on what time your flight lands. YOu can maybe visit one or two of the sights on the Panorama route. For swaziland look at staying at either Royal swazi, or Forester arms.

Then for the last bit of your tour I suggest you fly from Durban to Cape town. For Cape Town and surround you'll need atleast 4/5 days. The drive from Durban to East London mostly through rural areas and unless you've got a few days to spend in the transkei it is not worth the drive. If you are not interested in Cape town I suggest you then spend atleast two nights in Coffee bay in the transkei, you will need a high clearance car/2WD SUV atleast. And fly back to JHB from East London.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

Hello, for your night in Joburg, stay at the Airport Grand Hotel, it is right on the highway which will lead you on to the road going to Kruger.

Then for Swaziland - definitely Foresters Arms - fantastic food, wines and staff. 27km from Mbabane on the Bhunya road, you will love it right in the forests.

Then: drive south through the border post at Houtkop (less busy) and lovely scenic route, into Zululand.

For the Cape, spend 3/4 nights in Cape Town,look at Commodore or Portswood hotels, well prices, right on the Waterfront.

Then consider staying 1 night at Hermanus (look at the Windsor hotel - old but right on the waterfront) then 1 x night at Franschoek, the gourmet capital of South africa. Lovely hotels, guest houses and excellent food. This whole area is full of wine cellars, so you can spend your days tasting wines and eating good food!

L:yn - Owner - Thorntree tours and Safaris

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

Thank you all so much for your advice!

Jenni/JSouthey - thank you! Our wedding date is the 10th November :)

Our flight arrives back in JOH at 16:15/4:15 PM, what would be the recommended place to stay given the flight time?

Based on peoples responses above, it might be better to drive from Swaziland to Durban and then fly directly to Cape Town to spend our last 4/5 days there instead?

Will the above option allow us to do the famous garden route?

Again, thank you all for your time and responses. I love this community :)

7. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 October 2013, 17:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

I suggest you fly from Durban to Cape Town you will miss out on the garden route drive but there is plenty to do and see in and around Cape Town. You could do the garden route starting from Cape Town for some of those days, either self drive or a tour.

9. Re: Greetings from Australia! Visiting SA for Honeymoon!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:21