We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

Were on our late 20's/F planning a bday trip to South africa in january. We only have 1 wk/6 nights.might be doing backpacking to reduce cost.i,ve done some research on TA but i'm not sure what is the best route to do.i know its not impossible to do SA in a week but i want to maximize our time and go to the must see places scenery..few beaches..safari if do-able.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Felleng Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Tim Brown Tours - Durban Safari Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

Hello and maybe consider spending your time in KwaZulu Natal. You could fly into Johannesburg, rent a car and drive 3 or 4 hours south and stay in the northern Drakensberg Mountains. There is a backpackers there, Then head down to Durban and visit the city beaches, its approx 3 hours drive. You could maybe avoid the city and head up the north coast and visit St Lucia where there is a lot to see and do. From there finish off in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi for a self drive self catered safari trip. KZN is probably the most under promoted province in South Africa but will give you a real taste of Africa!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

I agree. KZN would tick all your boxes within a relatively small space. There's also the southern Drakensberg which could be combined with the Wild Coast.

toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

Thanks for the input.capetown not on the list?thats the area i researched on..i guess its the most popular destination in SA?

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

Cape Town would never be my first choice in any event, but when I read your description of what you were looking for, KZN and the Wild Coast were immediately what came to mind.

You're right, though: CT is much better known to tourists.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

With 6 nights and backpacking, you are very pushed time-wise, so you need to stick to one area, unless you want to spend all your time in airports and aeroplanes.

I think your choices are

1. Cape Town and the winelands, plenty to keep you busy, beautiful beaches, but sea water too cold to swim, also no safari (unless you count whales, seals, penguins, ostriches and baboons as a safari)

2. KZN - Durban (Umhlanga), St Lucia and Hluhluwe/Imfolozi - City (not as nice as Cape Town), lake, beach and safari

3. Panorama Route and Kruger - no beach, no city, but best safari and great scenery

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

Hello and the marketing people in South Africa keep Cape Town & Kruger as the number one places to visit. So these are generally what people read about first. There are however so many places still under visited.

Mark -Owner - SafariKZN

7. Re: South Africa for a week itinerary(backpacking).suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:21