We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claiming VAT

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Claiming VAT

Hi everyone,

I've looked through a couple of questions relating to reclaiming VAT when you leave South Africa. I'm a little confused/hopeful that what I think is the case isn't the case. I only just realized that I could do this after having been abroad here on a semester exchange for almost 4 months. I have already purchased most of the gifts I plan on bringing home. I saved all of my receipts and many of them say Tax Invoice on them include the seller's name and address as well as the amount of VAT charged. But they do not have my name.

Does this mean I cannot collect VAT. Is there anyway to get the proper paper work retroactively. It would save me a lot of money.

Bingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claiming VAT

You do not need your name on the receipt, but to claim you tax refund you have to produce the items you are claiming refund on, plus your air ticket and you can only claim within 24hrs of flight. There are well signed directions in the airport the downside is that besides having your p/port checked and fingerprint taken, the refund is given to you on a preloaded visa card for wich you will charged £5 [for uk nats] and the tax people set the rate of exchange wich is poor !!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claiming VAT

As long as you have all the receipts for the goods that you have purchased it will be fine. Also the receipts needs to go together with the goods, because they can randomly request to see and compare the receipt with the goods, so that you have to have in order. Like mentioned, you have to have your passport and flight confirmation ready when doing the VAT Refund and all the paperwork. VAT is charged at 14% and you will receive back 12.5%, the rest they keep for admin fee.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

3. Re: Claiming VAT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18