We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape town to victoria falls

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
516 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
cape town to victoria falls

Hi all.

We have just decided that this will be our next holiday. We have travelled independently in south east Asia extensively, and have now decided to change direction.

I am led to understand that travelling from place to place is difficult in SA..As I would be the only driver, my husband does not have a license, I am a bit concerned about driving. We have looked at overland trips but as we are 62, but very youn and travelled,usually by local bus/train etc,., these seem to read like boozy youngsters, wanting culture and party time and lots of adventure activities. I am sure that is wonderful for them but not for us.We want to see SA and discover what it is all about. I have bought a LP and am starting to read and plan. What would be your advice? Are there companies that we could go with that are more for budget travellers perhaps slightly more expensive than norm that cater for culture buffs., We don,t mind camping and definately do not want luxury types where you see a lot but at a whistle stop pace and are totally guarded away from local life.,. Do we go independently, or would it be so difficult that we missed out on a lot of sight? we have around 4 weeks to travel... W would be grateful for any advice that sets me on my journey. thank yoChristine

Hike Table Mountain
Hiking & Camping Tours, Climbing Tours
Ridgway Ramblers
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
OTC Adventures
Cultural Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Hiking & Camping Tours
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape town to victoria falls

Hello - we are driving from Cape Town to Vic Falls in Jan-Feb on our own for 5 weeks. We went last year and did self driving in SA and Namibia too for 3 weeks. It was a bit daunting for me as it was my first trip but my husband is South African and only left 7 years ago. We had a wonderful time and can't wait to be back soon. And it is easy to get around - not sure what you mean about it being difficult to travel in SA? The hardest part was some long drives in Namibia on gravel roads, having a puncture etc but that's all part of the adventure really. Self-drive is definitely achievable but if you want someone else to take the responsibility of driving and showing you around then I am sure there are tour companies which will cater to all of your needs.

Either way don't worry you'll have a great time!

Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cape town to victoria falls

Thank you for your reply.

What i meant by travelling around was if we did n,t hire a car. I am a bit scared of driving myself because of the long distances and no previous experience of driving in SA.

Is there any type of transport that links places together?

We really would prefer to have bases and then exhaust the area around before moving to the next place.

is that possible? that is what we have done all over asia, usually 1 country and 4 bases per holiday of about 4 weeks.

thank you

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cape town to victoria falls

Christine, I have no doubt that the only way to do what you want is to rent a car and drive. If you drive at all anywhere around Manchester you will find driving in South Africa a total joy! The roads are excellent but only a fraction of the traffic in the UK. Signs are excellent and all in English. Road rules are virtually identical and, of course we drive on the left. Drivers are generally courteous. Even a city like Cape Town is easier than Manchester -less traffic and parking is easy and cheap.

In a three week period no need to rush. Take things at your own pace. Excellent high quality but very cheapB&B and guesthose accomodation available all over the country so just drive as far as you want. Then, as you suggest stay in an area and explore before moving on.

I would strongly suggest that you stay in SA which is a country as big as the UK, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium combined. In 3 weeks no need to look elsewhere. If you feel the need to see Vic Falls treat it as a side trip. Take 3 days out and fly.

4. Re: cape town to victoria falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:17