We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari with an 80 year old

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
safari with an 80 year old

I am planning to take my mother on her first safari. We would prefer to go somewhere that is not malarial and I wonder if anyone can suggest somewhere? I've been to Madikwe previously, which was great. My mother is quite active, but obviously I want to ensure she is comfortable and does not get over tired. We will be coming at the end of february.

Thanks in advance

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safari with an 80 year old

I have an 88-year old client who got back to the US yesterday - traveling with her daughter - and she chose to skip game drives now and then to protect against getting too tired to enjoy the 9 nights of safari. Since you know the daily pattern of a safari, I am sure that's what you have in mind, too.

The 'where' should include Madikwe, I believe.. and also the group of reserves accessible from Port Elizabeth. Shamwari would be near the top of the budget, along with Kwandwe.. Amakhala a step down in cost, and in overall experience (because of the number of lodges in the reserve) but still a good option.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safari with an 80 year old

Hello and you should take a look at Nambiti Big 5 Pvt Game Reserve. It has a choice of great lodges and the game viewing is excellent. My wife and I have stayed at four lodges here and loved our time there.Its as you need malaria free and situated in KwaZulu Natal and has stunning Drakensberg views as a back drop. Its easy to get to from both Johannesburg and Durban. You can combine your stay here with the mountains, battlefields and the warm Indian Ocean beach.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safari with an 80 year old

Non malaria and a super big 5 game reserve is Welgevonden.org, just 3 hours drive from north of Johannesburg . And there are also there very nice lodges. Have been there at least 8 times.

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safari with an 80 year old

Thanks for the great suggestions, I will investigate them all.

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safari with an 80 year old

Hello Annemieke N, Is there any particular lodge you would recommend at Welgevonden? Thanks

Edited: 02 December 2013, 08:24
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safari with an 80 year old

We always liked Nedile, it is small but very nice and they cater also for special diets.

If you go weekdays, the rates are lower then in the weekends.

Cheers.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 09:40
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: safari with an 80 year old

Hi LondonThelma,

Outside of Kruger, which is normally my preference, I would consider Madikwe for a malaria free option. It's a good thing that you have been there before and know what to expect. There are many fantastic lodges in Madikwe. I'm not that sure about Welgevonden, as the game drive vehicles are restricted to the roads, and are unable to get closer to a big sighting to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure the lodges are very nice though, but for a first time safari, I don't think it's the way to go

Which Madikwe lodge have you been to?

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

8. Re: safari with an 80 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:19