We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emmigration at Johannesburg

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Emmigration at Johannesburg

Hi

I am flying to Cape Town from London in April with South African Airways via Johannesburg. Has anyone flown this way.

I am just wondering will my bags be put through to Cape Town and will I go through Emmigration in Johannesburg.

Thanks for your help

Tennessee
Level Contributor
10,673 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

You will go through passport control, claim your bags, customs formalities, recheck your bags in Johannesburg since it is your point of entry to South Africa. If I recall correctly the re-check station was immediately at hand after customs, so you are not dragging your bags thru the airport. It is a quick process.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

Emigration is when you leave a country.

Immigration is when you arrive in a country

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

Which post is the one that helps the OP: #1?? #2?? Tjoe that's a tough one!

Edited: 16 January 2014, 04:59
Cumbria
Level Contributor
27 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

Surely you can check your baggage through to Cape Town? I've never had to collect my baggage and check them back in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

LOL Auntie

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

CumbriaTiger, how did you manage that? You have to collect your luggage.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 11:46
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

The only time we haven't collected luggage was flying in on Malaysia Airlines from KL, landing at OR Tambo, stayed on the plane while some people disembarked and then flew on in the same aircraft to Cape Town. Every other time we have had a domestic onward flight on another aircraft we have to go through passport control and collect bags and re-check.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

I think that part of the problem is that people are using terminology to mean different things - and not just Immigration & Emmigration ;-)

Assume that everyone here is flying to Cape Town via Johannesburg. When you arrive at Heathrow, or other international departure point, you check-in all the way to Cape Town. You are given boarding passes for the two legs and you are travelling on a single check-in number. More significantly your baggage is also "checked-in" all the way to Cape Town. There will be a single baggage tag number which covers the whole journey. If you become separated from your bags for any reason, they will end up in Cape Town not in Joburg. Your baggage will be tagged JNB and CPT. So Tiger's first sentence is correct!

However as featherwings also says your point of entry into South Africa is Joburg so you need to clear Immigration and customs here. So your bags are delivered to the carousel after Immigration. You have to pick them up and clear through customs (a few people are stopped and baggage checked - most just walk through). Then on the other side of customs you drop your bags off again with the airline. You can do this either at the drop-off desk as featherwings mentions, or you can go up to the main check-in area and drop your bags at a desk there. However in the airlines eyes you are not "checking-in" again - you and your baggage are already "checked" to Cape Town.

So if you are told by the airline, or anybody else, that you "Check-In" all the way to Cape Town at Heathrow, they are correct! When you are told that you need to pick up your baggage and "Clear it through Customs" at Johannesburg, that is also correct. How Tiger managed to do it without collecting his bags is not clear!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

I think too much is read into a typo

Cumbria
Level Contributor
27 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emmigration at Johannesburg

Van_de_Caab: you are absolutely right - I was confusing myself and you with my last trips via Joburg.... to Windhoek! Sorry about that!