We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in South Africa

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in South Africa

We are visiting Capetown, Franschoek, Swellendam, Oudsthoorn and Plettenberg - several colleagues have mentioned the safety aspect and are questioning our choice of holiday destination!! Can anyone put my mind at rest regarding this? We are looking forward to it but my so called 'friends' have made me very nervous!!!

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,202 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in South Africa

Don't worry,

violent crime is a very rare thing for the regular tourists - but we have also been made nervous by our friends, all of which never have benn to SA, but felt they needed to share their unbased opinion.

Seriously, nothing to worry about. Where you are heading, crime is as much of a problem as anywhere else in the world, e.g. Italy or Thailand. Here are all of the dangers we have came across in South Africa:

- potholes, not very common on the route you are traveling

- speed cameras and overmotivated policemen, trying to fine us for not stopping completely at stop signs, never got fined, however.

- "helpful" people, telling us that their assistance is necessary for using an ATM.

You can search for "crime" in South Africa forum, many, many threads. So what here you should do to avoid any dangers:

- Adhere to speed limits and traffic signs

- Never let strangers help you at an ATM, try to use ATMs at open banks at malls or where there are a lot of people.

- Avoid night drives, there are people and animals on the road you might hit, also don't take hitch hikers

- avoid getting lost in parts of towns and cities at night

- listen to local advise at your hotel/guest house.

We were anxious the first time in SA, turned out to be completely unfounded. South Africa is the best place we have visited, and all the avoiding it for security reasons are missing one of the greatest travel destinations in Earth.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in South Africa

Just before we left for South Africa, we too, had friends and family that questioned our choice of going to South Africa for vacation, and their worrying and warnings made me nervous too. (It helped that I knew two people who actually visited South Africa, and they both loved it.)

We did visit Cape Town, winelands, Garden Route, and Kruger last summer. We found South Africa to be a lovely country for visitors, and we felt safe. We are a family of four and traveled on our own in a rental car. We were careful, and stay on the main tourist routes.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in South Africa

And there you have it.

Good advice.

Behave exactly as you would, visiting an unfamiliar city anywhere, even in your own country.

I have very little to add, except to say that the "experts" on South Africa have probably either never been here, OR, left a long time ago, and have never been back.

Disgruntled ex pats, trying to justify why they left this amazing country.

Enjoy your visit.

You'll come back again!!

There is more to see, and do, than can be done in one visit.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in South Africa

Thankyou for your reassurances - I'm sure we will love it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in South Africa

You will love it and in the areas you are going you will probably end up being totally baffled as to what all the crime fuss is about! What area are you staying in in CT?

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in South Africa

We are staying on the V&A waterfront. After the replies to my posting I am now less apprehensive! Thankyou.

7. Re: Safety in South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:19