We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

Hi everyone

Further to the excellent recent post by Jacqui about behavior around elephants, I would suggest future visitors to Kruger have a look at this excellent video.

Rather than telling you what to do, it is all about what NOT to do.

The idiocy these people display is truly astounding, not only breaking the Park rules, but putting their own and other lives in danger. If one of the lions decides to eat a human for lunch no one is going to get out of their car to help. Unfortunately bad behavior is not just restricted to private vehicles but as I have stated before, commercial and safari jeeps also.

Worst of all this type of rule breaking has been on the increase, and it can spoil the enjoyment of this wondrous place for others.

Please watch and consider. And please respect wildlife, we are in THEIR backyard.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Credit and thanks to

http://www.krugerparkbookings.com/

for putting this video together.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

Admininstrators, could we please make both the elephant behaviour thread and this thread a sticky thread for the Kruger National Park forum? With rule breaking and inappropriate and dangerous behaviour on the rise in Kruger it could help raise awareness among future visitors. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

Hi Sandmans. I heard your recent trip was great. Anyway, saw this video. Just a question, is it always this much of a traffic on the KNP roads? I'm there May of this year. Also one more thing about the video, at 38 seconds, we see a KNP game ride with people standing up and protruding thru the car. Yet the driver seems not do do anything. He was busy looking at whatever everyone else were looking at. KNP should not have added this segment.

Overall a very nice and informative video.

Saw the damaged car. Does insurance pay for this?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

No it is not always so busy, go there during weekdays and non sunny days ( when possible of course)

And no the insurance will not pay out?

It is the animals park and we are the visitor and we have to respect their space always!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

Big Wawao

We drove through KP in on a nice sunny day in September from Crocodile Bridge to Paul Kruger gate, our first visit. Initially not many cars on the tar road but later it became busier, especially when a notable sighting occurred such as the appearance of a lion pride. Cars were stopped either side of the road creating almost a traffic jam they way they were parked. You could not drive straight on but had to wait for a wide enough space to pass by, as the cars were parked at such odd angles. Yes people standing up and out of cars etc. If that situation occurred at an ele herd sighting and you had to reverse for some reason well …. Not likely.

Highlights the need to read the fine print on the car rental contract.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

That's what I was worried about. Insurance won't pay for animals damaging the car but in a traffic jam with a 6 ton elle coming at you and no way to maneuver out.... That is a problem. Thanks! Annemieke and Noeee

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

[Just a question, is it always this much of a traffic on the KNP roads?]

Ok let me point out a few facts for those who have not yet been.

If you have another look at the video you will see that every one of these clips that shows a crowd of cars/people is filmed on a tar road, this means they are filmed on one of the main roads that goes through the park.

Yes they are naturally the busiest roads, in fact day trippers come in one gate and go out the other or do a loop, and they mainly do it on the main roads. Same with very short term visitors.

Sometimes people do not have long and are desperate for a big cat sighting, there is a leopard laying in the grass and a car sits nearby. Soon another car pulls up and cannot see a thing, so they ask the other car 'what do you see', other car says leopard in a tree/in the grass. Second car pulls over wherever they think they will see the leopard if he gets up and just sits and waits. This is repeated over and over until there is so many cars no one can see a thing but they all just wait and wait. Meanwhile the leopard is also sitting and waiting. He is waiting for the cars to go before he gets up.

Same goes for safari jeeps, mostly they are on the main roads, after all they have to find the Big 5 for their clients at all costs, same with delivery vehicles, staff buses and so on. They all use the main roads through the park. All the main camps are on main roads.

Now look at the video and take note of all the quieter scenes, no traffic, they are on gravel roads. This is why you need time in Kruger, to travel the back roads, here you will find you have sightings all to yourself, or maybe just a couple of other cars. I think the most cars we would have shared a sighting with on a unmade road would probably be three or four, usually less.

This is why you cannot look at pictures of a crowded road and say that is what it is like, which unfortunately happens all too often thanks to the photos that many post.

It's like looking at all the cars on Sydney Harbour Bridge at rush hour and saying that is what every suburban street in Sydney looks like!!

I guarantee all the photos like that will be taken around the main camp roads.

How busy it is depends on many things, Clearly which road you are on, then what time of day, how close to camp, how close to gate closing time, what time of year. Obviously Christmas, easter and any school holidays are going to be the busiest, just like a million places all over the world.

We have been in catjams ourselves, although generally we don’t hang around, better to put the time into heading down a back road to find something you can spend quiet time with.

And I can probably count on one hand how many of these jams we have encountered. Our best and most memorable sightings have mostly not been on tar roads, although we have had incredible elephant sightings on a dam along the main road although further north. The cheetah in our avatar was on a main road but we had him all to ourselves. Have had incredible wild dog sightings on main roads all to ourselves, it just depends where you are in the park. The further north the quieter.

Yes the segment showing the safari jeep most definitely should have been included. It only proves something I have bemoaned here more than once, that the behavior of these vehicles often leaves a lot to be desired.

Whether the car was insured will depend on the persons policy, lets hope they didn’t go too cheap to save a couple of dollars as they could be in big trouble, especially if the insurance company sees the video that shows them provoking the elephant, who has now met an unfortunate end thanks to them.

Whooh ..having got all that of my chest…

Do not worry, self driving in Kruger can be one of the most amazing and addictive experiences you can have. Proven by the thousands of devoted fans all over the world who leave a piece of their heart there when they leave, and immediately start planning their return. It can be done on a budget, is great fun, and is ideal for many families, [just ask any South African who has precious childhood memories of camping in Kruger]

The idiots are truly in the tiny minority,

Relax and enjoy

Paris, France
Level Contributor
70 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

Excellent text. I have never been there yet but this exacly how I imagine it.

Just one important question linked to your information - what type of car do I need for self-deriving to do those gravel roads... I will rent something in JBG (airport) or in Nelspruit (don't know if there is a difference of price) but definitely it will not be Jeep or so. Probably a cheap small Hunday as I travel alone. Will I be Ok with this to do what you suggest to do ?

Jan

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

Thank you Jan

Re your question, no you do not need a four wheel drive at all, you will be fine in just a sedan or SUV, however do keep an eye out when you are on gravel roads, there can be the odd pothole or corrugation which can be a bit deep. You would only drive slow there anyway

As you can see by the video there are all types of cars there and many people just use a small sedan [just keep away from elephants lol]

Personally we hire a small size SUV despite it not being at all necessary.

We like it because

1. we can throw two full size suitcases, two large cabin bags, large handbag and camera gear all into the rear compartment, pull the cover over and none of it is in sight. Probably not an issue if you are alone.

2. although higher wheelbase not needed in KNP there are quite a few pretty rugged roads which we would not like to navigate in a small sedan, this can also depend on weather and how recently the raod has been graded.

3. For us it is just that bit more comfortable to drive around in when sometimes you are in the car for 12 or more hours !

4. Sitting higher can help with game viewing, we have been in a position a few times to see over a small car, but we have also had bigger vehicles look over the top of us. Helps with photography too.

Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

Ok it seems no one will ever learn.

Check out the children being allowed to hang out of this vehicle at a lion sighting.

Yes you read correctly, a lion sighting

…ninemsn.com.au/world/…scares-on-safari

This is why you do not have any body part hanging out of the windows. Just lucky the lion was distracted by his girl.

And in the second video, again an elephant charges, I cannot believe the car stayed there!.

10. Re: For future visitors to Kruger National Park, please read.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:19