We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

I posted this in a Kruger National Park topic as well but wanted broad advice … We have 8 days in S. Africa and are thinking of the below itinerary:

- 4 days in the Cape Town area, including 1 full day at a wedding

- 3 nights in Sabi Sands (at 2 different lodges)

- ~24 hours to do something else before flying out of Johannesburg around noon.

My questions are:

1) Does that seem like a good allocation of time? There seems to be so much to do in the Cape Town area, so I'm thinking we should spend 5 days there, but many people seem to recommend 3 nights on safari.

2) What would you recommend for a post-Sabi Sands and pre-Joburg activity that's logistically convenient to the two locations? Blyde River Canyon seems geographically feasible, would you recommend a visit? We'd have to figure out logistics of how to get from Sabi Sands -> Blyde River Canyon (stay one night?) -> Joburg

Thanks so much!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

My suggestion would be to add the 24 hours at the end onto the Cape Town bit, so much to do. A good option is to spend a night or two in the wine lands. And realistically adding blyde river canyon means time spent driving which you don't have. 3 days on safari is a good length, 2 days is a bit short. But don't change lodges, it doesn't add much to your game viewing and just wastes time. It's better to spend the whole time with one ranger who will maximize your viewing experience.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

I'd keep it simple: 4 days Cape Town and 4 days Sabi Sands or 5 and 3 respectively. And I definitely wouldn't bother changing lodges over 3 nights either.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

I'd say add the extra time on safari and relax into just one camp. If this April it could be a challenge finding vacancies.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

Using 2 Sabi Sand lodges in a 3-night stay won't accomplish much. But - if you want to do it, I suggest a combination of Notten's and either Inyati or Idube. These are all in what we would consider the moderate price range and would give you good wildlife, lodging, dining. April is coming up quickly.. you should act now.

Dave Patterson - Owner - TheAfricaSafari

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

I agree with Dave. I would not recommend that you split a 3 night stay in the Sabi Sand between 2 lodges, unless you don't mind quite a rushed "pack up and go" type of safari itinerary.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

No way would I split just three nights in Sabi Sand over two lodges,

You might take three days just to see a particular animal, and the longer you stay at one lodge the more area you will cover. And thats apart from the transfer time and packing and unpacking time that you will lose.

You will not gain anything moving into a different sector if you only have one night there.

7. Re: Cape Town / Sabi Sands itinerary in Apri- does this look ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:17