We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary in april

Roma
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary in april

Hello all,

I'm planning a trip in South Africa from 17 of april to 4 of may.

For some medical issue, I'm looking for a trip malaria safe.

I have already booked 29-30 april in madikwe and 1-2 may in Pilanesberg.

We would like to visit Durban as well as we have already been in Cape Town and garden route.

An idea I had was to do: Jnb - Drakensberg - Durban - Wild Coast- Addo NP (I travel with a 3 years old child, so I prefer self drive safari).

After Addo road to Madikwe in 2 days (I know that it is a long drive).

Question are:

1. is it too long?

2. which beaches are good in april?

3. Is there any other park closer to Durban as Addo is very far?

Please advise me on any other possible itinerary that include Madikwe and Durban and do not have problems with malaria.

Thank you to everyone in advance.

Ciao!

Mentioned in this post
Pilanesberg National Park
Pilanesberg National Park
North-West Province, South Africa
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Johannesburg Intl Airport
Johannesburg Intl Airport
Johannesburg, South Africa
Drakensberg Region
Drakensberg Region
Addo
Addo
Sundays River Valley, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

In the order you asked:

1. This is purely subjective. You must decide if driving the 1300 Km from Addo to Madikwe is too long.

Personally, long distances do not worry me. I have often driven from Johannesburg to Cape Town (1500Km) in "one go", as well as from Johannesburg to WIndhoek ( 1400Km), also in "one go", but that's me.

You must decide for yourself if you want to spent that amount of time behind the wheel..

2. All our beaches are pretty good in April, especially the Eastern Cape and Kwazulu Natal beaches.

4. Hluhluwe-Umfolozi in Kwazulu Natal is only 300Km from Durban.

This area is considered a low risk malaria area.

see map:

www.kznhealth.gov.za/malaria/riskmap.pdf

Edited: 24 February 2014, 10:57
Mentioned in this post
Addo
Addo
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Eastern Cape
Eastern Cape
South Africa
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Hluhluwe
Hluhluwe
Zululand, South Africa
Durban
Durban
Roma
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Do you think that it makes sense? is it worth the effort?

Or it could be better to spend more time in KwaZulu Natal?

I know that Hluhluwe-Umfolozi is low risk. But low risk is not zero risk :-), and travelling with childs makes the difference.

Mentioned in this post
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Hluhluwe
Hluhluwe
Zululand, South Africa
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

Having been to Hluhluwe / Umfolozi 3 times plus coastal KZN St Lucia, Sodwana,Kosi Bay and other game reserves in NE KZN there is nothing to worry about re Malaria.But life doesn't offer a no risk Insurance policy in any regard. But as you have pre-booked other places going there may not be feasible logistics wise. Long drives with a 3 yr old may be something to reconsider.

Mentioned in this post
Hluhluwe
Hluhluwe
Zululand, South Africa
St Lucia
St Lucia
Sodwana
Sodwana
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

There is no such thing as "ZERO RISK".

There were recently two cases of Malaria in Johannesburg, something unheard of in the entire existence of Johannesburg!

How the mosquitoes got here is a mystery, probably hitch hikers !

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

Hello and following on from above take a look at Nambiti Pvt Game Reserve. Its about an hour from the Central Drakensberg in KwaZulu Natal and aapprox 3 hours drive in-land from Durban. We have been several times and will be there again very soon. Its a lovely spot with open plains and mountains in the back drop. The game viewing there has been excellent and there is a choice of lodges. Its malaria free to. Its a superb destination for combining with the Drakensberg. Lots of choices there to for accommodation. If you are interested its also handy for visiting some of the Zulu & Boer war battlefields. The Durban beaches and those north and south should be fine. I was there a couple of years ago in May and the weather, other than one day of rain, was clear and warm. All I will say is there a lot of travelling in a short space if you have already booked a couple of places.

Mark -Owner-SafariKZN

Mentioned in this post
Drakensberg Region
Drakensberg Region
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Durban
Durban
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

Gavin, there gave been cases of malaria caught here the UK too. Work that one out.

Even with a 3 year old I would safari in KZN rather than the long haul to Addo. If you think your child could cope with a game drive with a guide, I would recommend Tembe in northern KZN. It was the first place our daughter had this experience and we all love it still. The prices are seasonable for an all in camp too. Failing that I agree that Hluhluwe is good. I also like Mkhuze.

Beaches in KZN are wonderful and will still,be warm in April: just be aware that there are big waves in most areas which can be off putting for a young child. That said there are lots of places with gently sloping beaches where some protection is offered by rocky outcrops. One of our favourites is the area around Ballito where they also have sea water swimming pools.

Mentioned in this post
Addo
Addo
Ballito
Ballito
7. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 13:40
Roma
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

I have noticed that children under 6 are usually not allowed on game drive, this is the reason why we put our attention on Addo first.

If I can self-drive in a reserve in KZN I would definitely choose it.

Is Tembe or Nambiti ok with little kids?

Mentioned in this post
Addo
Addo
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

Tembe is, we had a 2 yr old on our guided vehicle who had more manners than some adults I have encountered on some game drives, Nambiti I do not know. If your child can sit quietly for 3 hours and cope with bumpy roads then am sure it could be feasible.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with itinerary in april

vedirne

You can self-drive (perfect with young children) in all the Emzevelo (KZN Wildlife) public reserves. Including Hluhluwe/iMfolozi, Mkuze, Ithala and iSimangaliso (St Lucia) all great for wildlife viewing and different in their own ways.

Mentioned in this post
Hluhluwe - iMfolozi Park
Hluhluwe - iMfolozi Park
197 Reviews
Zululand, South Africa
St Lucia
St Lucia