We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old UK cell phone convert to ZA sim card?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Old UK cell phone convert to ZA sim card?

I am sitting in the US with an old NOKIA phone I used while living in the UK gathering dust. Wondering if an old phone (purchased in 2004) would work with today's SIM cards in ZA or is it just out moded? We had Vodafone pay as you go on the phone in the UK, would just want to get another cheap pay as you go plan since we will only be in ZA for 2 weeks and just want the phone for emergencies and to confirm reservations once in a while, etc. Will be doing the Karoo and Garden Route - what will be the best phone coverage?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old UK cell phone convert to ZA sim card?

as long as it takes any of the normal sim cards, it will work.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old UK cell phone convert to ZA sim card?

Your phone will work, but the problem will be getting it RICA'd - in South Africa you have to bring a copy of your proof of residence as well as a copy of your identity document in order to be able to get a SIM card activated.

I have always had my own proof of address so I'm not sure how you would go about doing this if you were only visiting - my best suggestion would be to ask your accommodation if they could possibly provide you with a letter stating that you are staying there.

Please shout if you have any further queries

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Old UK cell phone convert to ZA sim card?

No problems at all for RICA (SIM card registration) for tourists. It has been discussed on here many times. In most cell phone placres in Cape Town or Joburg all you will need is your passport. A few places will ask you for proof of where you are staying. Just the confirmation letter or e-mail from your hotel/guest house with your name on it is fine.

Just make sure that the phone you are bringing is not locked to a specific network. Just put any other SIM in the phone to check before you bring. If that works then any SA one will as well.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 16:02
4. Re: Old UK cell phone convert to ZA sim card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:19