We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Best time to travel

We would be travelling from Australia what time of year is the best time to travel to Africa and what are some of the best things to see.

Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to travel

Hi Heather

I live in the Western Cape, about half an hour from Cape Town. In my opinion, were you to come to the Cape, the best time to travel is March - May (this is my personal preference). The winter can be miserable and very rainy. And mid-November - late January can become very full and crowded.

Autumn in the winelands is a magical experience and breathtakingly beautiful. Everything looks like it has been set on fire and literally turns golden. I quite frequently have to pull my car over to the side and just appreciate how exquisite it is. It is still lovely and warm, but not unbearably hot.

Also - if I were you, I would avoid February like the plague. It is uncomfortably hot and can be quite unpleasant to be outside. Some people revel in the heat, but I struggle when it gets over 35C; it is not uncommon in February for the temperature to rise above 40C.

Mentioned in this post
Western Cape
Western Cape
South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to travel

PS - please just shout if you would like any information about the winelands, Cape Town or surrounds and I will happily pass on what I know.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to travel

Hi there Heather,

So great that you will be visiting our wonderful country.

Each answer will differ here as we all have different opinions on what the best things to see are, but I would most certainly suggest you start by looking at the Kruger National Park and Cape Town - two of our most popular attractions.

The Kruger National Park & greater Kruger area is South Africa's most premiere safari destination, with over 2.2 million hectares of pure wilderness filled with over 146 mammal species including the Big 5 (rhino, leopard, elephant, buffalo, lion) and more.

Cape Town is home to the famous Table Mountain, and many other fantastic attractions such as Robben Island, winelands, Boulders Bay (penguin viewing), Cape Point, and much more; plus SO many trendy cafes, restaurants, shops and more.

Do either of these interest you? If so, we can go into more detail about travel times etc as it will depend on what you want to do r.e which month you come. For example, June is best for animal viewing in the Kruger, but it is also the coolest month of Cape Town.

Warmest regards

Jacqui Sive l Owner & Founder l Lodge Trackers

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to travel

Hot weather - 10th Jan to Feb

Cape Town - Mar to May

Kruger - Jun to Oct

Whales - Jul to Oct

Drakensberg - Feb to Apr

Avoid 15th Dec to 6th Jan = high prices and crowds

Edited: 04 March 2014, 14:05
Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to travel

Its very similar temp to south west WA in cape town and surrounds and gets hotter as you go up.

but generally the climates are pretty much the same as oz :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to travel

Kwa Zulu Natal has game reserves, beaches, wetlands and not as touristy as Kruger. SA has a lot of diversity and caters to varied tastes/ interests for any visitor. But you said Africa, so other countries offer spectacular options too, depends on your specifications, budget etc. If you can define those, then the suggestions can cut to the chase rather than broad and general.

7. Re: Best time to travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:19