We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

San Bruno...
Level Contributor
84 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

We just returned from a trip to South Africa with Friendly Planet. We have travelled with them a couple times before (Ecuador and Kenya). This trip was probably one of our best trips ever! First of all, we lucked out with a small group - only 8 people. Secondly we were constantly impressed with the accommodations, meals included, sightseeing trips and general itinerary and planning of this trip. Everything went so smoothly. We were able to see so much in the 13 days! The tour started in Johannesburg, on to the Karongwe Private Reserve (the best part of the entire trip), Kruger and then we flew to Cape Town for 4 days. We had many game drives, spotted lots of animals, enjoyed terrific meals and even had a little down time. They use a local company (Thompson) - and we were all very pleased with our guides and tour directors! Above all, it's a tremendous value. Don't know how they can put together a trip of that caliber for the price - but I'm glad they do. Don't think one could do it travelling independently.

Sarasota, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

We are planning on doing this trip in December.

Just concerned about the flight over because have not heard good things about SAS

We've done Friendly Planet before and were very satisfied. How were your hotels?

San Bruno...
Level Contributor
84 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

The flights were fine. Long - but that's what it is. Friendly Planet did book us in the two seater combinations as much as they could. We thought the hotels were wonderful! Maslow Sandton - pretty good. The River Lodge in Karongwe Park was amazing. Beautiful rooms, terrific guides, wonderful staff - there were only 8 in our group and we were the only ones in the lodge. Yet they catered to our every wish - asking about the menu choices, etc. (I loved the hummus sampler they had one evening as an appetizer!). We had our best game drives there! Perry's Bridge was okay - nothing special but our rooms were nice. They have a pool if you wanted a quick swim. The hotel in Cape Town - African Pride 15 on Orange was beautiful! Our room looked out on Table Mountain. Nothing to complain about there. As I said, I don't think you could put this trip together independently for the same price. Would love to hear about your experience! Also - the tour guides in Johannesburg and Cape Town were terrific and did a great job taking care of us!

Sarasota, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

Thanks for the input.

We just booked our trip to South Africa. Very excited and we know Friendly Planet will show us a great time.

We will post when we return.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

Do you know who they contract with for the excursions? Were you happy with them bc FP refuses to give me any info about the excursions and I'm wondering if I should fine another provider. I'm going in September.

San Bruno...
Level Contributor
84 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

In South Africa I believe they use guides from Thompson's. We travel a lot - both on tours and independently and this was one of the best trips we have ever taken. If I were you, I would stick with the plan and go and enjoy! And please let us know what you thought when you return.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

I am planning on doing most of their excursions, but there are a few things they don't offer that other companies do. The descriptions of their excursions are somewhat vague. Did you do the "Taste of S. Africa" tour with FP? Can you tell me what wineries they visited? THANKS!

San Bruno...
Level Contributor
84 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

We did the Best of South Africa tour. On our free day in Cape Town some of our group hired a car to take them to wineries. We didn't do that as we've done lots of winery tours in Northern California. We also took the ferry to Robben island. Our guides arranged our ferry tickets. Don't miss the penguins. You'll find the guides very helpful. I'm sure they'll try to get you to all of the places you want to see. Don't other companies charge a lot more? I found FP to be a deal, especially when trying to put together a similar trip. Airfare alone was extremely costly.

Galesville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

Did you travel to South Africa with Friendly Planet ? What was your experience?

9. Re: South Africa with Friendly Planet Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2016, 06:16