We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phones

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile Phones

Hi There,

3 of us are heading to Nelspruit and we are going to be in South Africa for 1 month.

What is the best way to pre-arrange some sim cards?

Thanks

Kris

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phones

krishka, you can purchase a prepaid SIM cards (all sizes Mini, Micro, Nano, Multi-fit) online from B4iGO (link below)

www.b4igo.travel/product/10/iphone4-r379

This ensures you get your mobile number for your phone before you land in South Africa preloaded with airtime and or data to get you talking and in touch as soon as you have collected it. The OT Vodacom shop is on the ground floor level to the right of the descending escalator opposite to the exit doors.

You can only receive the ph. no 2 weeks before you go. The advantage of getting your local number before you go means you can give it to family and friends before you depart for your trip so they have it on hand to call you when needed whether it’s for emergencies or whatever.

I have pre-purchased SIMs for my phone and Ipad mini from them for my last couple of trips to SA and found it to be a godsend to get off the plane get them installed at the shop and out the door in no more than 10 minutes all ready to use

With Vodashop stores at Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban International airports, and throughout SA, collection happens readily most times and topping up SIM credit is very straightforward. Packs start at R149 and go up according to call time credits and type of service e. g. broadband, data, sim, iPhone.

The cost of both local and international calls is very reasonable. If you don’t want to or need to pre-purchase it isn’t a problem however, the stores especially in major airports and popular shopping malls sometimes sell out quickly and the right size SIM may not be readily available.

The link here shows SIM sizes for the various types and models of phones, smart phones, Ipads modems etc.

…vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/What-different…

Check that your phone is GSM 900 or GSM 1800 compatible and unlocked.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phones

You can buy you local sim when you arrive at the airport pre arrange is not nessesary. You just need you pasport thats all, and buy some prepaid also there. Then in every supermarket you are anale some prepaid for your phone. Only the phone must be lock free!

MTB, and Cell C , and 8ta ( telkom) are very good providers here.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 10:57
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phones

She said pre arrange.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Phones

Sorry it is MTN

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Phones

yes, that's what she said, still, it is very easy to just arrive, go into a shop and get going.

I don't really see the advantage of pre-arranging.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Phones

If you want the tel # to give family / work / others, before you depart home country it for many, is a great advantage, but your a local so you wouldn't.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile Phones

You can group sms them or via watsapp inform them!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile Phones

It is easier to have it arranged beforehand than wait in ORT Voda shop for 20 minutes as I did only to find they had run out of data sims. Another 30 minutes at Richards Bay mall next day to sort it out. After 14 hours sitting in a plane then wasting another half an hour at ORT to no avail. Stargaize is correct best to pre order, for visitors saves time better spent on the holiday. Should have pre ordered as I normally do.

9. Re: Mobile Phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 23:05
Edited: 17 March 2014, 23:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile Phones

It is not the question and I don't like your tone. I am answering the question posed it is not about convincing you per se to use this service. Personally could not care about the cost. It is the convenience of having a pre ordered sim ready for collection after a long tiring international flight and having a local mobile no 2 weeks before leaving the country to advise family and friends. As a local you don't have this issue so no need to get involved.