We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School holidays April ,May 2014

Netherlands
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
School holidays April ,May 2014

Good day to all,

visiting South Africa and neighbouring countries from begin April to begin June 2014.

I found the 2014 holiday's list for South Africa on the net, but I would rather know when are the school holidays in this periode to eventually book campsites ahead. Thanks in advance for the information.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: School holidays April ,May 2014

Don't see the problem of information on the net. Here is a list of both school terms/holidays in 2014 and public holidays when schools are also closed :

http://saschools.co.za/calendar-2014.php

Edited: 17 March 2014, 16:21
Netherlands
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School holidays April ,May 2014

hallo Van de Caab,

Thanks for your answer. I had found the public and school holidays on the Internet but noticed that in April and begin May are quite a few free days close to each other and I thought dat schools might give some extra days free and working people would use those days to take a week or more off with the whole family. Isn't that the case?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: School holidays April ,May 2014

It seems that you didn't read the link that I posted. Otherwise you will have seen that there are additional school holidays across the country. Which mean that, including weekends, the schools are closed the whole period from Saturday April 26th to Sunday May 4th. In addition Wednesday May 7th has recently been announced as national Election Day - which is also customarily a public holiday in South Africa, to allow, especially rural populations to get to the polls. Add all this to Easter from Friday April 18th to Monday April 21st inclusive and you can see that there are a lot of holidays to steer clear of!

Edited: 17 March 2014, 20:49
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: School holidays April ,May 2014

Some private schools work on a 3 term system, but it is not that many and mostly senior schools See 3rd section. lookatjoburg.co.za/local-guide/2014-gauteng-…

Netherlands
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School holidays April ,May 2014

Dear Van de Caab,

Please be patient with me. I did read your link, but it was still not clear to me. But now it is thanks to you.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School holidays April ,May 2014

Thank you Lamlee.

7. Re: School holidays April ,May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 04:20