We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money for 5 Days in Johannesburg?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How much money for 5 Days in Johannesburg?

Hi Everyone!

Just after a quick question for anyone who lives in Johannesburg (Or has good knowledge of the country)

I'm visiting Johannesburg in October for a 5 Days and what to know what sort of spending money i should take??

I'v already paid for my hotel stay etc.

i have around 10,000 Rand (Is this enough!!) ?? I Pre loaded this onto my currency card a few months ago to lock in a good exchange rate. and plan to withdraw around 1,000 when i arrive in OR Tambo airport.

Not sure if it will be expensive but I've arranged to visit Kruger park but accommodation has already been paid for

Any Advise would be super!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money for 5 Days in Johannesburg?

It really depends on what you plan on doing whilst in Johannesburg.

Food and drink for a day would be no more than R300 (to eat well).

Transport: a hire car is roughly R250 a day (I think), Using taxis would be a bit more.

Activities: could spend R500 a day depending on what you do or if you use tour guides. But also this could be half or zero depending on what you have planned.

R1,000 will cover your daily expenses easily. Also there are ATMs everywhere so you won't have a problem getting more cash.

Hartbeespoort...
Level Contributor
32 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money for 5 Days in Johannesburg?

I am sure R10,000 would be engouh for 5 days. I agree that you woul be spending about R300 a day on resturant food or whatever you prefer. If you are renting a car I suggest you visit Sandton city which is very nice for shopping.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money for 5 Days in Johannesburg?

''Not sure if it will be expensive but I've arranged to visit Kruger park but accommodation has already been paid for''

Where in Kruger?

In a lodge in a private reserve you should not have to spend anything they are usually all inclusive. However some charge extra for drinks/laundry

Or are you staying in Kruger park itself?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money for 5 Days in Johannesburg?

Umm i'm not very familiar with the names but i believe its called Nelspruit? My Hotel/lodge has already been covered :-)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money for 5 Days in Johannesburg?

You might want to reconsider staying in Nelspruit. I'd try and change my hotel if possible. Nelspruit is a big town and still a good drive to the closest Kruger gate - Numbi (it is currently advised by Sanparks to not use this gate). Rather stay in Malelane or in Hazyview if you want to stay outside of the park. The best is of course to stay inside the park in one of the SANPARKS accommodations and if budget allows in one of the private reserves. How are you planning on getting to Kruger? Self-driver? Fly? And how long are you planning on visiting Kruger? It is about a 4-5hour drive from Johannesburg. (nelspruit 3hours). Is your entire trip 5 days long...i.e. 4 nights? If so I'd spend only 1 night in Johannesburg and the rest in Kruger...btw with R10 000 you should be able to afford a private reserve...so I really suggest you reconsider if at all possible chaing your accommodation from Nelspruit.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 10:57
6. Re: How much money for 5 Days in Johannesburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:19