We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance on Rovos train?

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance on Rovos train?

We are looking at Rovos rail Victoria falls to Pretoria and they seem to require health insurance. Any options?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance on Rovos train?

I would not expect that Rovos Rail would be seen as a hazardous event by any heatlth insurance policy and would therefore be covered by your standard Health/Travel Insurance. i assume that you are not travelling to Africa - or any other country for that matter - without good health insurance in place?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance on Rovos train?

BTW. Make sure that you let your health insurance know you will be travelling in Zimbabwe and Botswana (and possibly Zambia), as well as South Africa, if you need to declare countries you will be visiting.

UAE
Level Contributor
321 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance on Rovos train?

We've booked on Rovos rail for their three night journey from Pretoria to Victoria Falls leaving on Christmas Day. We were asked to pay a 25% deposit but were not asked to provide insurance. We will get insurance much nearer our departure date which will cover us for the train journey and stays in Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance on Rovos train?

If what you are saying is that in lieu of proof of insurance, they hold a "deposit" until conclusion of trip, then that is what I'm looking for, thanks.

UAE
Level Contributor
321 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance on Rovos train?

No, they don't hold the deposit till after the trip. The deposit is 25% of the total cost of the trip. I think the balance is due 6 weeks or so before the trip. This has no connection with insurance. That will be taken out and paid for just before the trip.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance on Rovos train?

Kind of figured that. We have so many pre-existing conditions that we tend to self-insure. This is the first time I've seen insurance required. I wondered if there were a bonding option

7. Re: Insurance on Rovos train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:17