We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

San Diego
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

Hello. I'm planning a trip with my daughter from the US to SA on May 12th. I'd like to rent a car and drive around. Please help me figure out the best and safest route for two females. I'm thinking of starting in Cape Town, driving up the eastern coast to Kruger, then flying out of Johannesburg. I'm open to suggestions and don't want to miss out on anything. Budget is around $6000 (not including flights). I definitely want 2-3 days of safari. I appreciate the advice.

Felleng Day Tours
Safaris, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tim Brown Tours - Durban Safari Tours
Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

How long have you got ? This will dictate the route and places in transit to some extent .It is perfectly doable and safe.Does the safari have to be only in Kruger because if you are heading north up the east coast, KZN has some excellent game reserves for the self driver.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

Hi Saskand,

It's a long old drive to the Kruger from the Cape, so I'd be inclined to fly at least some of the distance. I'd certainly recommend going to the Greater Kruger area for your safari, as from my experience that's always had the best game viewing. As to what other areas you visit, well, it rather depends on what you're interested in. I'd certainly say Cape Town is worth 4-5 days, and possible another 2-3 days in the Winelands, which are just beautiful. I also loved the Cedarberg, but its your trip, so it rather comes down to your personal interests!

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,404 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

2 weeks is the absolute minimum for time in Cape Town, plus the drive along the coast to Kruger. It is about 2500km, before you do any sightseeing.

Sandton, South...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

Hi here is a nice link I saw might be interesting. safariguides.com/african-safaris/safaris/joh… if you need any help planning let me know and I will gladly assist. info@werneropenshaw.com

5. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 04:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

Lamlee it is why I asked how long has the OP got.Thats the the crux of the whole matter I would think.Have driven the trip in reverse but with a different route but can be done in 2 weeks although I'd not want to do. I had 3 weeks was ample

San Diego
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

sorry, I thought I mentioned it, we can stay 2-3 weeks. We should arrive on the 13th after a 34 hour trip, and I'm thinking of staying till the 27th. We're looking for adventure. We're from California and Florida so we don't want to sunbathe on the beach for hours; however, we love water activities and seeing the beautiful beaches and scenery, hiking, cultural shows, off the beaten path stuff. I really want to see penguins on Boulders beach. As for safari, I'm not attached to Kruger, but I want to have an amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience. I don't mind flying part of the way either. I really appreciate all the feedback. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

May is not really sun bathing season. Perhaps consider spending some time in Kwa Zulu Natal province - south eastern part of the country, en route to Kruger .The area has 2 world heritage areas Drakensberg Mountains and Isimangaliso wetlands area. Hiking, walking, san rock art, scenery in the first and scenery, water animals/birds in the second, as well as being near the coast/Indian ocean for water activities and beach, the town of St Lucia is a good base for the area. For a self drive safari & adventure you could visit &/or stay in the tented self cater camp (Mpila) in Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve, where you are up close personal with the animals there (can vouch for). Other self drive public (cheaper) reserves are Mkuze Game Reserve and further up near the border of Swaziland is the smaller Ndumo Game Reserve. Have a look at Tembe Elephant GR, which is almost next door, non self drive, catered tented accommodation, managed by the local Tembe community and home to the largest tuskers. The Swaziland border is in this north eastern corner, so you could drive through Swaziland to Kruger - more adventure!. We have stayed or visited these places during our last 2 trips which always include KZN province. Wonderful offerings.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k…

Saskand have a look to Post 1. Why I asked you how long you have, is, if you are heading north up the east coast as Noee rightly points out KZN is definitely worth spending time in and can offer a wonderful safari experience/s as well as coastal activities. Nooee has mentioned adding Swazi in and it is also worth seeing. Good advice above re suggestions.

10. Re: Help me plan 2 weeks in SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:15