We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

Hello,

What do you think is a good airfare from San Francisco, U.S.A to Johannesburg?

I see about $1727 right now on Lufthansa with one stop...but wondering if that's a good fare or if I should wait.

Will be flying Aug 27, 2014

Thank you for any input....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

At different times of the year I've occasionally seen some significantly lower prices from the West Coast to jnb. However, with your flying in our summer that price might be pretty good. Perhaps some West Coasters can weigh in with their experiences.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

We paid just over $2000 per person from SFO to South Africa last summer, also with just one-stop. One stop is the best you can do, there is no direct flight out of West Coast.

We flew in the middle of July, so that was peak summer travel season.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

I just did a quick search on Yahoo and found lots of flights leaving 27AUG.. and returning 08SEPT that were under $1500. On KLM, even Delta. Both KLM and Delta have connections with just one stop that are in the low $1500s. Your return date probably is different.. but check it out, see what you get.

Then - and this what I would do - once you have an itinerary from a web site like that, look and see what the same airline would charge for the same itinerary. If it's close, buy it from the airline - never from a 3rd party.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 16:02
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

Do you have any advice or recommendations re: 15 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg? We have to fly in coach section and are dreading the 15 hour flight. Would welcome any tips at all!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

thank you all.

I have booked the same Lufthansa for about $1735 since for my dates [the airbus a380 was one of the factors :)], that seems to be the best combination of fare and the layover/flying time etc..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

Leslie, my advice is to get as much sleep as possible. It makes the trip seem shorter and you'll deal with lag better on arrival. I used to tough it out on trips to Europe but these hauls to Africa are a different beast. I ask my doctor for a few ambien but others rely on drugs such as benadryl. Whatever works.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

Leslie.. If you afford the extra charge for Economy Comfort, the additional legroom does help.I fly that route three times a year and know more about it than I wish I did. If you part of a couple, choose seats in the center section. No one will need to climb over you to get to the restroom. The flight attendants circulate all through the flight (all night long!) with trays of water. Drink as much as you can. You will dehydrate during the long flight, so water, water, water is important. If you have earphones, take them along. And a sleep mask. I see more and more of the neck cushions being used - including some that sort of go on backwards and support your chin..

By the way - after flying 15 hours, you are still not there yet. And the return flight will be 16+ hours.. sometimes closer to 17 hours.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

Thank you Dave. (what do you mean, "not there yet" after 15 hour flight?)

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

It's longer than 15 hours.. sorry.

10. Re: Airfare from San Francisco to Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16