We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SA trip logistics

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
SA trip logistics

Hi there,

Two of us will be travelling to South Africa (for the first time) this November for a wedding which will be in the Marloth Nature Reserve. We are hoping to get two weeks annual leave and visit other parts of the country before travelling to the wedding before flying home (or vice versa). We would particularly like to visit Cape town/Garden route and wine regions before/after the wedding. My questions for you at the moment (i'm sure i'll be back with more specific itinerary questions later) are regarding flight logistics. Our leave is quite precious so we want to maximise time exploring the country. Direct flights to CPT from the UK are looking to be in the region of £980 return. Flights with 1 stop are about £200 cheaper but almost double the travelling time. We would then need to get an internal flight to Nelspruit and back. We would rent a car whilst in the Cape Town region. We are obviously seeing the price of everything totting up. Has anyone got any thoughts regarding flights and the logistics of our proposed general plan? We are just using skyscanner etc to look into flights but was hoping some people here had some inside knowledge/bright ideas. Thank you.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SA trip logistics

Hello and take a look at Air France. My wife is from KwaZulu Natal so we have been holidaying in SA for 20 years and for the last few years we have flown with AF. Its not direct but what we like is that we can fly from Birmingham to Paris and then from Paris to Johannesburg. From there we now fly to Durban on either Kalhula or Mango. It does not double flying times for us as going to London means we have to allow at least 4 hours to get to Heathrow including the time needed to check in. You can probably fly from Bristol to Paris to and connect on there late night flight. Price wise its worked out very well to for us. I am not if BA or even SAA offer direct flights to the Cape anymore?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SA trip logistics

Agree with Mark. For the past 4 years we have flown from Bristol to Paris and then on to Johannesburg. We found that in fact our overall travelling time was less than driving to Heathrow for a direct flight to JNB.

We always took the Air France 1715 flight BRS - CDG then the overnight flight to JNB. An added bonus was that this flight was on their A380. We then worked our way down to Cape Town and flew back either with Air France or KLM depending on which suited us best. As a retired couple we were flexible on dates and invariably found if we travelled mid-week it was considerably cheaper than at weekends. Well worth a look.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SA trip logistics

Thanks for the info re: Paris. Will look into it.

Has anyone ever flown with Virgin Atlantic from LHR to CPT? Their fares seem a bit cheaper.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SA trip logistics

Hi

I have flown SAA, Virgin, Lufthansa, Emirates and BA to CPT.

BA is my favourite for convenience and service. Emirates was very cheap and although a longer flight we only missed an afternoon of our holiday.

Don't forget to work out door to door travel time, sometimes it isn't much longer if you can use local airports

Turkish often have good prices and I would definitely consider them.

The price you mention is about right for UK to CPT, sometimes you can get it slightly cheaper. But not much competition on the route keeps the prices high.

I suppose it's down to personal choice.

However, the very favourable exchange rate does mean that it is very good value while you are in SA

Lisa

5. Re: SA trip logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 20:35
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SA trip logistics

Just a quick question and purely out of curiosity, who does fly direct from the UK to Cape Town. I read that BA & SAA no longer offer this service?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SA trip logistics

Hi

It's just BA all year round, with 2 flights a day in the peak season. Virgin only fly direct in the peak season.

SAA stopped over a year ago now.

Lisa

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SA trip logistics

Thanks guys. Do you know if SAA are the only airline that flies from CPT to Nelspruit? Or are there any other local carriers? Thanks again

geneva
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SA trip logistics

Nice to see you again on the forum, Somersetal,, as we have always appreciated your good advice, we hope it means another trip in the planning for you.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SA trip logistics

Thanks for the flight info, tourism in SA is on the up yet Cape Town direct flights have decreased. Maybe its a few factors including to budget options with local internal flights?

Regarding flights to Kruger I am sure that SAA are the only operator.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN