We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

Thank you for looking. We need help we have booked our flights mid January 2015 for three weeks. We are two people 50+ who enjoy scenery, sunsets, wildlife birds, good food experience local culture.

Ours ideas !! after looking around some of the forums is to travel to cape Town. Taking a week to drive The Garden Route, then fly from Port Elizabeth to Joh then spend two weeks in the Kruger\ Swaziland\ Durban area?

We need help with the following:

1. How long to spend in Cape Town\Garden Route\Port Elizabeth\Joh\Kruger park

2. Suggested car hire companies\petrol costs; diesel\petrol?

3. We are looking at staying in nice revieved bed and breakfasts as we are on the move for most of our trip maybe one or two nice hotels just to spoil ourselves.

4. We are looking at keeping the cost down as much as possible so that we can spread our funds to experience the safaris- sea trips- good food ect !!

If you can think of anything else that will help us or maybe you have done this trip and you have stayed at some beautiful places would love to hear from you.

We look forward to hearing from anyone who can help us have a fantastic holiday so excited. Looking forward to your replies--- coming from the uk !!!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

my TRIPADVISOR posts dated 12/2/12, 29 and 30/12/13 may give you some ideas.

If you have not yet booked internal flights, instead of flying PE to Jo'burg you could fly PE to Durban and work your way North via Swazi to Kruger and from there drive to Jo'burg.

I think that with 3 weeks you would be on the go all the time with not much time for relaxation.

I also think that Cape Town and Garden Route is too much in one week, we took 15 days and it still felt rushed.

I don't think that you will find accommodation particularly cheap in January especially if you are going before school returns.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

Thank you good start !!

Durban sounds like a good idea ?

Have you done this drive ?

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

I have driven CT to PE.

Our next holiday in Feb. 2015 ,is flying to Durban and spending 2 weeks in Kwa Zulu. Our last holiday was 2 weeks in the Cape area, there is enough to see and do within a few hours drive from CT.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

Anymore help please !!!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

Good advice in post #1. Spoke yesterday with friend in Durban re driving from Durban to Kruger. He allows 6.5 hrs. He has done trip many times and leaves Durban early i.e. 3.30am and avoids the trucks, old cars on N3. Last 1-1.5 hrs of this drive heading into Nelspruit is very scenic. Various routes available.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

The Garden Route is a must do experience while seeing places such as Knysna along the way.

Depending on how much time you have to spare, I would suggest at least a week in Cape Town where you could also go spend a day or two in the beautiful winelands of Franschoek and/or Stellenbosch. You could also take a day trip tour for this.

Although I haven't been myself, I hear that Port Elizabeth isn't overly spectacular, so I wouldn't spend more than a day there. Johannesburg you could use as a hub for a night or two between airport transfers or departure for the Kruger. It's a busy city but does have some great shopping experiences, particularly in Sandton which is easily accessible by the Gautrain from the International airport.

Carhire & fuel can be a little pricey in SA, but its still a good bet for getting around except for perhaps the Joburg to Kruger trip which you could do on a tour.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

The Durban coastal area is also great. My preferred location is Umhlanga which is about 20-30 minutes outside of the city of Durban.

Durban is about a 6 hour drive from Joburg or 45 minutes flight. Flying and then hiring a car there may be the best bet as when taking tolls and fuel into consideration, the two options could be similar in price.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

We spent almost 2 months in SA in 2013, and drove from CT to Durban and on to Kruger. If you could possibly extend to 4 weeks you could do justice to CT, garden route, fly to Durban from Pt Eliz, do parts north, and then onto Kruger. You do pay a bit extra on your rental car for the drive through Swaziland but in one day we drove from St Lucia (north of Durban) to Crocodile Bridge. We arrived mid January and had reserved an apartment for a week in CT, but other than a couple of other short stay reservations, for the most part we did not book ahead - the advantage of extra time of course. I do think that you shortchange yourself with just a week for CT and garden route. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more details on our experience!

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

Thank you !!

looking at a cheap place for self drive safari ?

where would you stay ?

Is it easy to do self drive safari ?

many thanks .

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dream holiday !! need loads of help !!!!

I don't know of any private reserves who allow self drive so it will probably have to be one of the SanParks. I see that you want to keep the budget down, the private reserves cost an arm and a leg compared to Sanparks.

Addo is near Port Elizabeth and Hluhluwe-Umfolozi is several hours from Durban and of course there is Kruger , all self drive. .

If you plan to drive from Durban to Jo'berg you could fit in Hluhluwe-Umfolozi instead of Kruger.