We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SAA Flights

Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
SAA Flights

Can you carry a camera with lens around your neck in order to keep your carry on luggage below the weight limit on A SAA flight?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SAA Flights

Maybe, I don't really know, a large camera and lens I wouldn't think so....but what are you going to do with it once on board? If it's a short domestic flight that is perhaps ok but are you talking an international flight? In which case it would be totally impractical with nowhere safe from damage to put your equipment for the duration.

Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SAA Flights

The camera is a Nikon with 70-200 lens. Not huge but not small point and shoot. After boarding it'll get put back in the carry on. It's just the weight of the carry on that exceeds SAA weight limit.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SAA Flights

I'm pretty sure it will be fine. They are really not strict on hand luggage on SAA. I can't even remember the last time mine got weighed...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SAA Flights

It's really unlikely that you're going to have your carry-on weighed as long as the physical dimensions are within the limits. I regularly travel with camera gear that exceeds weight restrictions for many international carriers, but it all fits in a small backpack, so I've never run into trouble.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SAA Flights

I have heard of this being done on the smaller planes out to lodges etc, but not on a main flight. We usually have our heaviest lens in one of our 'handbags' if we are worried. Breaks the shoulder for a few minutes but then after all checked in swap it back to the cabin bag.

Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SAA Flights

Thanks everyone. Just moving the heaviest lens to the "purse" and then back to the carry on backpack makes it even easier. Thanks for the idea thesandmans!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SAA Flights

Haha yes it's a good little trick that one, just need a decent size handbag and hang on shoulder as usual.

If there is two of you even better, both can share the load in the handbags.

I guess one day they will start weighing handbags and then we will be in trouble!

8. Re: SAA Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:16