We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days in south africa

Cairo, Al Qahirah...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
11 days in south africa

Dear all,

i will travel to south africa next October isa, this is my time table if you have any comment please tell me,

day 1: arrive to Or tambo at joburg at 2:pm then hire a car driving to Nelspruit to stay the first night in. (what about the way is that safe ? and how long would it take "i will hire economy car is that ok?")

day 2: full day in kruger national park with my small car (good or not?)

day 3: driving back to joburg or tambo take the flight at 2 pm to George hire small and economy car from the airport then go to Knysana

day 4: go to tsitsikamma and river storm (adventure and bungee jump) at late at day iwill go to knysana heads.

day 5: go to sky dive at plett (which is bettersky dive in plett or mossel bay?)

day 6: driving to wilderness and goto wilderness national park and map of africa (staying in wilderness)

day 7: driving to cango caves and oudtshroum then back to wilderness

day 8: driving to cape town and stop at hermanus to see whales and another stop in cape point reach cape town at night may be

day 9: sightseeing bus tour in cape town and table mountain (can i do this tour with my car?)

day 10: robben island at morning and i need a good beach to stay ??

is that cape town safe at night i want to stay night for shopping ?

day 11: take 9 am fligh back to joburg or tambo then my flight back to cairo will be at 2 pm isa

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days in south africa

1. It is 330 Km from O R Tambo International to the centre of Nelspruit.

The drive is safe, but it will take you at least 4 hours, or longer.

If your flight arrives at 2 pm, you will not be able to get on the road until shortly after 3 pm.

This will mean you could arrive in Nelspruit after dark ( sunset in October between 6pm and 6:30pm depending on the date)

Do not forget, we drive on the LEFT here, as opposed to in Egypt, where you drive on the RIGHT (well, that was the case the last time I was in Egypt :-) )

2 1 day is really not enough time to spend in Kruger National park. Try to extend your stay by a day or more, if possible.

3. You will need to check in for your flight to George at 1 pm.

Allowing for time to hand back your hire car, etc, I would say you need to be back at the airport by around 12 noon, 12;30 latest.

This means you need to leave Nelspruit by 8am, or even earlier, allowing time for possible delays en route.

4,5,6,7,8, I cannot comment on

9. The tour can be done by car, but why would you want to?

Relax, take the bus, and you will not have to concentrate on finding your way around a strange city.

10.I am not sure I understand about the beach.

However, Cape Town shopping hours are usually as follows:

Mon-Thurs 9am-6pm, Fri 9am-9pm, Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 10am-4pm.

Others may know more.

Enjoy

Cairo, Al Qahirah...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 days in south africa

thanks,

but what about driving in the dark to nelspruit is that ok ??

unfortunately the last kulula plane to goerge on friday (3rd day) is at 11:40 so i must leave nelspruit about 3 am

ithink that is hard

so iwill go to cape town before going to the garden route

its hard to extend my stay in south africa so which is better stay 3 nights is nelspruit and 2 in knysna or 3 in knysna and 2 in nelspruit ??

what can be done in nelspruit except kruger ??

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 days in south africa

Def would choose 3 in Nelspruit and 2 in Knysna. Cango caves and nearby Swartberg pass is world class. But pass is tricky with small car. 9) Take double decker open air 'red bus' for trip around CT with unlimited stops. They know every place and has onboard commentary.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 days in south africa

Hi there, I understand your dilemma and wanted to give you my experience.., although we don't arrive until December, I had the same parameters as you. Maybe it's best to decide your top priorities & rank them in order, most important to least. I found that we can't do it all in 12 days, but we can do the things that are important, do them very well and maybe a few things more briefly. My family thinks that Kruger/Sabi Sands safari and Cape Town & environs are top priorities, and I want to see a few things that I remember as a young girl in Pretoria as well as a few historical/cultural sights. We will completely miss the Garden route as it was still on our list, but lower on our list. SA is a very large country and there is so much rich scenery & culture and hopefully, it will give us a big appetite for another trip some day.

Perhaps start with your international flight, then the 2-3 major locations you must see and weave your way to those places, filling in the other things in between. The last thing you want to do is not spend enough time doing the BIG things and leaving them too early. I received some very good advice here and it helped me tremendously. I just couldn't do everything and that's okay.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 days in south africa

One more thought... if you have a very short time on safari, a private reserve may be more a more efficient use of time. Although more expensive, if you only have a day or two, it will deliver. Don't misunderstand, I would love to self-drive for a week through the park, but we just don't have the luxury of time for that. And my teenagers would kill each other in the back seat ;-)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 days in south africa

I live in the US and have made 5 trips to South Africa (both self drive and customized tour). My last trip was this past January for almost 4 weeks and used www.tours@cruiselite.co.za (have used my last two trips) which is located near Durban. With the area you are trying to cover, I would suggest using this company. Peter Lees, one of the owners tries to accompany as many of the tours as he can personally. He has an excellent knowledge of history and wildlife (and he once competed in the world skydiving champions representing South Africa). He will personally customize this trip so that no time is wasted. Inquire at his website, tell him your interests and he will get you a proposal. Linda - Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Cairo, Al Qahirah...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 days in south africa

iwill try to extend my stay in nelspruit one day more, but if i could i will visit Garskop waterfalls area..,

i'd like to drive my own car, no need to private game

iwill rent a small car (huyndai i20) is that good for safari in kruger?

what about petrol station in the park is it available?

8. Re: 11 days in south africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:20