We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

Middletown, Delaware
Level Contributor
224 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

Is this possible? I understand that the penguin colony is only found in Cape Town…If we exclude them from the list, does it make planning easier? Can all of the other animals on my list be found in the in the eastern half of South Africa?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

This sounds like a lovely twin centre to me. Cape Town (plus a bit of Hermanus, either for a few nights or a day trip) and a safari somewhere. Very easily do-able over 2 weeks. I'd be inclined to treat yourselves to a lovely B&B or somewhere in the Cape and then go for rest camps on safari (safari by itself is so amazing and romantic I think you don't necessarily need to splurge on the accommodation here- I have loved every safari I have done, even in a coach full of school children and sleeping in the most basic of campsites).

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

Great whites, whales, penguins all occur in same proximity of RSA. A big 5 safari is considerably further along from the garden route.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

I agree with MGM! You'd need to go further afield than Cape Town to get a good safari. As I've mentioned on your other posts,my first vote would be to go to Kruger. If the cost of the flight to get up there meant going for slightly more basic accommodation, I think it would still be worth it. Otherwise there are some fabulous options in KZN nearer to some of the other beach based options you mentioned.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

The area east of Port Elizabeth has some decent game reserves as well. Nothing can match the sheer numbers of animals found in Kruger but are worth consideration. Addo is a govt NP and is a massive 180,000ha (444,000 acres) but a lot of it is not accessible by vehicle or even on foot. Shamwari (25,000 ha=62,000acres) and Amakhala (7,500ha=18,500acres) are privately owned. Both have Big 5 and both have cheetah! Amakhala has spectacular views as per their website. Of the 11 lodges my choice would be Quatermains. Stay 2 nights or longer and a game drive to Shamwari is included along with a guided walk. Costs are exceptionally reasonable.

But PE is 670km east of Hermanus and its another 70kms to Amakhala. Too much to accomplish in a day. But numerous excellent places to visit/stay along the way. I'd spend a week getting there from CT then a 3 night stay. Fly out from PE.

Note: Penguins are very cute and you can get very close. They even go into peoples gardens and nest there! But numbers fluctuate hugely depending on the season. Same with whales and sharks.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

Hello and what time of year are you wanting to visit? In KwaZulu Natal you have the chance of finding all but penguins on the south eastern corner of SA. Whales though are seasonal as are turtles. Not many places where you can see the biggest land and sea mammals over the space of a few days. Migrating humpback whales & the tusker elephants of Tembe. When you add cheetah & wild dog the list of possible sightings grows and grows.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Middletown, Delaware
Level Contributor
224 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will be in South Africa starting June 8, 2015.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

June is a wonderful month to be in KwaZulu Natal!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

8. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 14:36
9. Re: Combining Great Whites, Penguins, Whales, and a Safari…

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:17