We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15-day trip to South Africa between Dec 22-Jan 5

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
15-day trip to South Africa between Dec 22-Jan 5

Hi, my husband and I will be travelling to South Africa at the end of the year.

We will be landing at Johannesburg on Dec 22 and departing on Jan 5. We would like to do a few good game drives, the Garden route and spend a few days in Cape Town. We don't want to miss out on anything as we may not be able to travel to South Africa again during New Year's.

I have a few questions in this regard:

1. Is Kruger the best option? Or should we do one of the smaller safaris like Mabula with greater chances of sighting game?

2. Is it best to take a package group tour with the convenience of being driven around everywhere? I am not too sure of our driving skills and my husband just stresses too much while driving so a self-drive may not be the best option.

3. Would any of you be able to recommend a good tour company? We were looking at a maximum spend of about $4,000 for the two of us.

4. Is Victoria Falls worth visiting? And can we skip Swaziland?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Garden Route
Garden Route
107 Reviews
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15-day trip to South Africa between Dec 22-Jan 5

Kruger National Park definitely.

There is far more game, and a greater variety of game, than at Mabula.

Forget about Mabula.

Self drive for KNP and Garden route is really your best option.

You can move at your own pace, slow or fast, stop where and when you like, and spend as much, or as little time driving as you like, and not be dependant on someone else's decisions.

I would choose Victoria Falls over Swaziland any day of the week, even though the falls tend to have less water than in the winter, they are still spectacular... one of the natural wonders of the World!.

If you have not yet booked, waste no more time, because the time of year you intend visiting is high season, and you definitely need to book soonest, to avoid disappointment.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 14:18
Mentioned in this post
Garden Route
Garden Route
107 Reviews
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15-day trip to South Africa between Dec 22-Jan 5

Hey Gavin, thanks for the reply.

We have booked the tickets, but all else is pending.

Is it safe to self-drive? And is the traffic manageable?

My only concern is that we should not be left drained because of all the driving with little time to enjoy the holiday.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15-day trip to South Africa between Dec 22-Jan 5

The driving is safe, and if done in easy stages, it is part of the holiday..........have a look at these links.

tripadvisor.co.za/…5560

tripadvisor.co.za/…59344985

tripadvisor.co.za/…59320529

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15-day trip to South Africa between Dec 22-Jan 5

Hi VKD,

1) Kruger is best for safari. It has private reserve which are expensive as it includes all game drives and meals. You can choose a affordable one in Sabi Sands and stay 2 nights there. If you don't want to drive, transfers will be expensive. Other is Kruger National Park which has cheap self catering accommodation and best to see by self drive.

2) For garden route you can take one of the tour operator who offer private tour. Self driving will be very cheap compared to taking a car and driver/guide. Cape Town is easily manageable without car. For Kruger you can stay in private reserve and take transfers.

3) I would suggest to book hotels yourself. You should search for best deals before booking. After that book transfers and garden route tour, if you don't want to self drive. Package tour are generally costly then doing it your self.

4) I love Victoria Falls and would definitely recommend it.

If you need any other help, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Kavita

Edited: 05 July 2014, 23:01
Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15-day trip to South Africa between Dec 22-Jan 5

Your budget might be squeezed if you include Victoria Falls. The flights from Johannesburg leave mid to late morning and might require an overnight at the Johannesburg airport the night before you fly, depending on your itinerary.

R/T airfares range from $500 up to $800PP, and in that holiday period, it's a good bet that fares will be on the higher end of that range. But you can check and see. Both South African Airways and British Airways offer the flights between Johannesburg - and either Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe - or Livingstone, Zambia. Pretty good hotels will range from $200 to $300 per night, B&B. The best hotels - even more.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 08:28
Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
6. Re: 15-day trip to South Africa between Dec 22-Jan 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:15