We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full board safari- another tipping question sorry !!

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Full board safari- another tipping question sorry !!

Hi

Have been reading up on tipping so am pretty ok with what is considered ok to tip guides on safari.

Can someone confirm how the guide is different to the tracker?

Also, we are full board (pre paid room and food) and so will not have a bill to settle at the end apart from drinks (I'm assuming it will be done at the end rather than after each meal).

So I'm not really sure how we would tip? At the desk when leaving after paying the drinks bill? Or should we just leave tips each evening for our severs then settle the actual bill at the end?!

Are envelopes left in the rooms to leave tips for cleaning staff.

Thanks!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full board safari- another tipping question sorry !!

Tip yr guide the full amount either after last game drive or just before you leave. Not each day. If guide not around give envelope to duty manager/lodge owner. Write guide's name on envelope. Most lodges have a box near reception into which a tip/cash can be placed and lodge will divide among general staff.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,799 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full board safari- another tipping question sorry !!

"Can someone confirm how the guide is different to the tracker?"

In my experience, when there are both a guide and tracker (this is not always the case in Africa) the guide will do most, if not all, of the interactions with those in the car. That is, he takes almost all questions regarding names of wildlife and their behavior. On top of that guides will typically drive 8 or more hours a day and, as such, are largely responsible for your safety. The tracker mostly scans the surroundings looking for signs of game and of course their expertise can lead to outstanding sightings. But given the work the guides do driving and educating the passengers they merit the higher tip. At least that's my take.

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full board safari- another tipping question sorry !!

Thanks! That's great !

4. Re: Full board safari- another tipping question sorry !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16