We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

Garden Grove, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

Hello,

My brother and I plan to visit South Africa in April/May 2015. We are not sure how to make best use of our time and money. We would like to visit Lake Malawi for a few days (week at most), head to Kruger for a safari (4-6 days) and spend the rest of our trip in Cape Town.

Should we fly into Cape Town and work our way up? Or visit Lake Malawi and work our way down?

Highlights:

Lake Malawi

Victoria Falls

Big 5

Cape Town

We are certainly on a budget and do not need 5 star accommodations. We would like comfortable sleeping arrangements.

Any suggestions to get us started?

Thank you for any feeback. :)

Kim

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

How do you plan to travel about? Those places are in three different countries and unless you fly between locations (expensive) you will need to plan to self drive or get about by bus/public transport and that will require weeks rather than days.

Garden Grove, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

We plan to fly. I checked flights in 2015 (random months since we do not have dates locked in) and noticed we can fly to each country for around $250 each flight. I realize it would be impossible to take ground transportation as it will take too long. More exhausting than impossible. :)

south africa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

Malawi would be a very relaxing part of your trip & CT would be busier as there is so much to see & do so you would have to decide if you want to relax at the end or start. Vic falls might be a bit much to fit in!

Malawi I would recommend Domwe or Mumbo island , loved it!! As long as you don't mind it being an Eco friendly lodge!

Maybe look at staying at a lodge in Kruger that offers a combination of nights in CT too as that often works out a bit cheaper.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

If you are going to be in Malawi, you should consider going to South Luangwa in Zambia for your safari. South Luangwa is now only a few hours drive from Lilongwe, thanks to a new tarmac road from Chipata into the park. There are operators in Lilongwe who do budget tours (Land & Lake or Kiboko safaris).

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

Cape Town first, as the weather will be best that way round. Then either of the other 2 depending on how your flights work out.

Garden Grove, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

Thank you sandy10144!

I would like to relax at the end of our trip before the long flight home. Malawi sounds wonderful. When you speak of Eco friendly....what exactly do you mean? No toilet paper? :(

Staying in Kruger with a combination of nights in CT is an excellent suggestion. I will search for deal on line.

I really hope we can fit in Victoria Falls. I hear its a wonderful place. But if I have to eliminate something...most likely it will be the falls.

Garden Grove, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

Stokeygirl - thank you for your post. Does South Luangwa also have the "Big 5"? If so, as you mentioned this might be a better option for us.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

There are no rhino I'm afraid, but the other four shouldn't be too much trouble. It's especially well known for leopard.

Garden Grove, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

Stokeygirl - I would love to see a leopard. Too bad about the rhino :(

10. Re: Safari, Cape Town and Lake Malawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:16