We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route selection for JNB to Elephant Plains

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Route selection for JNB to Elephant Plains

Hi All,

I have read extensively on TA about driving the Panorama Route en route to or from Sabi Sands but I still have unresolved options I'd appreciate comments on so we can put together the most interesting driving route.

We have decided to drive different parts of the Panorama Route on both the way to, and the way back from Elephant Plains to JNB. Proposed route on the way to EP is N4 - Belfast - Lyndenburg - Sabie - Graskop, viewing some of the sights around Graskop before overnighting at the Graskop Hotel. Next day we intend to drive Graskop - Bushbuckridge - Acorn Hoek - Gowrie Gate - EP, arriving in time for the afternoon game drive.

Question: What is the best road to take from Graskop to EP? Should we take the direct road to Bushbuckridge or would the road via Hazyview to Bushbuckridge be more scenic despite being longer?

After leaving EP we intend to drive to Acorn Hoek - Klaserie - Hoedspruit - Blyde Dam (via R527, R531 and R532) and then south through Graskop and then on to JNB.

Question: Would it be better on the second day (after staying at Graskop) to drive north along R532 to see Blyde River Canyon etc, then through Hoedspruit - Klaserie - EP and then on the way back to JNB after staying at EP, drive Acorn Hoek - Bushbuckridge - Hazyview - White River - Nelspruit?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,050 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route selection for JNB to Elephant Plains

I would go to Bushbuckridge.. be especially watchful of radar speed traps. Observe the speed limits. Go north past a few miles past Acornhoek - and use the directions here in a posting I made a few days ago - tripadvisor.co.za/…59668148

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Sabi Sand Safari

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route selection for JNB to Elephant Plains

In a country with dozens of spectacular views the Blyde Rivier canyon rates as one of the best imo. Def include a visit to the edge.

3. Re: Route selection for JNB to Elephant Plains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:16