We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

I am hiring a car in South Africa when we travel in September. In Australia, I have never had a deposit charged to my card when hiring a car. They have pre-authorized the card but those funds haven't been taken out of the card. I was still able to use that money.

A few people I have chatted to have said that in South Africa they will take a deposit + a the total charge of the rental, and refund the deposit upon return of the vehicle.

I am hiring with Avis. Does anyone have any experience with what amount is charged with Avis, or any other large car rental company in South Africa?

Mentioned in this post
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

I booked with Avis for November this year via their South African website. I have not had to pay a deposit or give any card details to receive my confirmation. I have paid a deposit with other companies in advance however when hiring in South Africa.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town Central...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

Do not use Budget SA. They charge a large deposit (in my case, not pending charge as with other rentals, but an actual credit). They have subsequently charged me for several things where I have to call and inquire what services were rendered and have twice received two versions of invoices with varying fees. I actually had to lodge a formal complaint through my credit card. Not sure if they are undergoing staff changes but for one weekend rental, I would have gladly paid 5 extra dollars a day to skip the headaches.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
933 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

Used Avis several times, never charged a deposit but used UK site as always cheaper than South African one.

usually book shortly before leaving Uk so not a problem if they charge as cheaper to pay up front than when hiring car.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

I used a Hertz car for a one-day rental a few weeks ago (after mostly using Avis until we had a dispute). I was charged almost R1000 as some sort of deposit. Which was converted to $USD on my credit card.. with a resulting small Foreign charge fee, too. When I returned the car and they gave me the credit, the exchange rate had changed to the point, and the fees were added, that my $35 rental cost me $44. Bad deal.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 02:59
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

Hi there

We have always used Avis and never paid a deposit, in fact never even produced a credit card until the car is actually collected. And at the time of collection we do not pay anything either.

At the end of the rental we sign off on the agreed amount which should match the original quote and the payment is usually deducted a few days later, and up till then nothing has been paid.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 04:20
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

Thank you everyone for your replies. By the sounds of it, it sounds the same in SA as everywhere else I've rented a car.

Great help!

7. Re: Car Hire deposit - credit card pre authorization

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:16