We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 to 5 week trip to South Africa

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 to 5 week trip to South Africa

Hi we are looking for some advice in an itinerary for 4 to 5 weeks in Jan/ Feb 2015.

We are a couple looking to do some self drive and would like to take in Cape Town, Wine area, Garden route and Safari.

We may wish to see other parts of the country so would not rule out traveling by air.

Maybe part of the grand tour may be with an organised party or private tour. We have an open mind

The finish off we would like a week on a beach to relax and enjoy the warm waters before flying back to the UK

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 to 5 week trip to South Africa

I'll start at the end of your trip. For nice warm waters you'll have to go to Kwa-zulu Natal, warm waters and a stunning coastline. One place you can consider if your budget can be stretched is Thonga beach lodge. It is isolated, quiet and truly relaxing. It is also all inclusive, so all your meals are catered for.

http://www.thongabeachlodge.co.za/

However there are many more places to choose from and many accommodation choices...you didn't really mention what type of accommodation you are looking for. If you want to self cater I suggest you try and get a booking at the Cape Vidal cottages. I'd anyway recommend you spend some time in the St.Lucia area to Explore the Isimangoliso wetlands park. Others places for beach holiday include Shaka's rock, Ballito,

Umhlanga etc etc. Others will probably recommend the South of Durban as well, I prefer and know the North better so can't give advise on the south coast.

As for the rest of your itinerary I suggest you consider the following.

5 nights Cape Town

2 nights Winelands (either Franschhoek or Stellenbosch)

5 nights Garden Route, fly from George or PE to JHB.

Pick up car and spend 2 nights in Joburg

1 Night Panorama route prior to going to Kruger

Then for the safari part...do you just want to self drive? The I'd recommend atleast 5 nights in Kruger...you can split your stay between 2-3 camps but your selection will depend on availibility...I suggest you book asap.

http://www.sanparks.co.za/

Camps to consider is Satara, Olifants, Skukuza and Lower Sabie - these are good camps to visit for a first time visitor. When booking try for perimeter bungalows, you'll see it part of the description. And then of course you can spend much longer on safari...I can go for weeks and I won't get tired of it.

Then other places that you can add onto your trip:

Drakensberg area,

Battle fields

Natal Midlands

You can also add a couple of nights for Safari in KZN. - Tembe Elephant park, Hluhluwe- Imfolozi, Mhkuze etc etc.

So much to do...

Happy planning!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 to 5 week trip to South Africa

Thank for that. Looks very interesting. When do you think is the best time to visit. We want to get out of the English winter

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 to 5 week trip to South Africa

Hi

Could you give me some info on the Panorama route, ie where to stay and what to see, we don't mind more than 1 night to see it.

Also can you direct us to some info on Johannesburg and what to do over the 2 to 3 days ?

Many Thanks

4. Re: 4 to 5 week trip to South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 07:36
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 to 5 week trip to South Africa

Hello and I picked up on the 'waters to'. We tend to go every year in Jan/Feb/March to escape the UK winter for 2 or 3 weeks and KZN certainly has warm waters. You could easily spend 2 weeks just in KZN. There are hundreds of miles of beaches from the seaside south coast, up through the City of Durban and onto the wilder north coast coast beaches. In land from Durban are the Drakensberg Mountains a world heritage site that include stunning scenery and ancient rock art. On the north coast are the iSimangaliso Wetlands the provinces second world heritage site. The game viewing is excellent and without the conservation efforts of Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park the rhino may already be extinct. You may also be lucky enough to see turtles to on the north coast beaches. The province is also full of history & Zulu culture. Certainly somewhere you should consider spending some time in and its to navigate and self drive.

Mark - Owner - safariKZN

6. Re: 4 to 5 week trip to South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 06:17