We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limopo province and Cape Town?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Limopo province and Cape Town?

Hello everyone.

My husband and I are planning our trip of a lifetime to the beautiful and vast Africa in January 2015 and need some advice…

The trip is to start with hiking up Kilimanjaro and the return flight is out of Cape Town. So the confirmed part of the trip is:

1) 8 days Kilimanjaro hike

2) 4 Days safari (Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro)

Where I need your help is what we do after.

We are planning on flying back home from Cape Town, so We have to fly into Johannesburg to get to Cape Town anyways. Considering that we are ending the trip with 3 days in Cape Town and 4 to 5 days in different stops on Garden Route (Plettenberg, Tsitsikamma Natinal Park for some hikes, Wilderness, Storm River), would you recommend adding on 3 days to drive the Panorama route and explore Limpopo Province or Kruger and then flying to CP from Johannesburg?

I really don’t know when again I will have the chance to travel to Africa, and am really trying to get the best taste of it possible.

So the proposed itineraries would be:

Option A:

2) 4 Days safari Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro

3) Fly into JB

4) 3 days to explore Panorama route and highlights of Limpopo Province or Kruger

5) Fly to CT from JB

6) 3 days in CT

7) 4-5 days on Garden Route

Option B:

2) 4 Days safari Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro

3) Fly to CT

4) 3 days in CT

5) 4-5 days on Garden Route

What do you think of these itineraries? Is there anything you would remove, add or change in any way?

We REALLY have to book our flightS ASAP and I would GREATLY appreciate any comments or suggestions you guys might have.

Thanking you all in advance,

Niloo

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limopo province and Cape Town?

Seeing that you already have done some safari I would do a revised version of option B.

Fly into JHB and then onto Port Elizabeth.

Spend 4 days travelling the Garden Route. Spend 1 night in Oudshoorn and then travel to Cape Town via the R62 where you can spend the rest of your holiday.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limopo province and Cape Town?

Hi Petrus.

Thank you very much for your respond.

Great suggestion! So basically Kruger will be more of the same (the safari we do in kili area), is that right?

How would you compare Panorama Route drive (and the Blyde River Canyon) to Garden Route drive? Would you say they are similar also?

Thanks again!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limopo province and Cape Town?

A couple of thoughts.. I operated safaris in Kenya and Tanzania for 18 years and do not understand how someone could create an itinerary for you where you go to the Serengeti, Ngorongoro, and Lake Manyara, in just 4 nights. Nor why you need 8 nights for Kilimanjaro. I know you are not expecting any comments on that part of your trip.. but I don't see the logic in that plan. Just the time-on-the-road to see all of those safari areas in the northern circuit will eat up a lot of your time and energy.

Speaking now of South Africa - Petrus gave you good advice. But I would add that there are no gardens on the Garden Route. Some interesting touristic experiences, as you will see when you do your research on it. But it is essentially a pleasant and easy sightseeing drive that most people enjoy. And incorporating it into your travels by flying from JNB to Port Elizabeth is easy, too. Most any incoming flight you use to get from east Africa to South Africa will arrive early enough in the day to allow you to connect onward to PE.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 31 July 2014, 13:48
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limopo province and Cape Town?

Hi Dave.

Thank you so much for your thoughts! It is much appreciated on any part of this trip!

With regards to the hike, we chose an 8 days hike (7 days ascend and 1 day descend) on Lemosho rout to make sure we have enough time to acclimatize. We have not had any exposure to higher altitude and are both very helpful to make it to the top. That was our train of thought...

Regarding the Safari, we've been told that we will fly out of Arusha to the farthest point of the Northern circuit and that we will make our way back to Arusha bit by bit driving through those areas... Does that sound reasonable to you?

The SA portion is shaping up to the following thanks to your great suggestions: :)

We will fly from Kili to JB and spend 2 days in JB area as we are starting to feel like the Blyde River Canyon is a place we don't want to just fly over. We're both nature lovers and really enjoy hikes and thus this decision!

After we will fly to Port Elizabeth as suggested by you guys where we will have 4 days on Garden Routes different stops, and then we'll make to CT where we will have 3 full days. :)

Thanks David for your clarification about Garden Route. I understand that there may not be gardens but there is some nice scuba diving to be had :D

We are both certified advanced divers and excited to dive some of SA's beauty along the Garden Route.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated like always... :)

Niloo

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limopo province and Cape Town?

Thanks for the explanation about your TZ plans. The big migrating herds are going to be between Seronera and Ngorngoro. If you fly from Arusha to Seronera airstrip you will see them as you drive back east. If your agent can place in one of the mobile camps, that would be best. Lake Ndutu might also serve as a base.

Game drives in the Ngorongoro crater commonly start early AM and last for several hours.. and some companies will then bring the guests out and take them on the Manyara or maybe Gibbs Farm.

I suppose you could do all of this in 4 nights. But take lots of photos. To help you remember it :)

Driving to Blyde River Canyon from JNB is about 5 hours. And 5 hours back. Learning of your diving qualifications suggests to me that you ought to visit the really good diving areas in KwaZulu Natal. I am no expert on those areas - but research on the web will help you find them. I have had clients who went diving at Sodwana Bay - and my South Africa home is next to Gansbaai, where you reportedly can go out at shark dive with scuba gear. Mossel Bay - on the Garden Route - is another spot where diving is good, I am told.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limopo province and Cape Town?

Wow Dave! Fantastic pointers! I will certainly look up theses areas! :)

This is getting better by the minute! :)

Thank you for that!

Niloo

7. Re: Limopo province and Cape Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:15