We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three weeks in South Africa in May/June 2014 (first time)

Maniago, Friuli...
Level Contributor
163 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Three weeks in South Africa in May/June 2014 (first time)

Hello!

We (two of us) plan to go to South Africa for the first time for 3 weeks starting the second half of May of the beginning on June.

We're looking for suggestions for a good itinerary. I know many recommend something like Kruger Safari/Cape Town/Winelands/Garden Route, which should be doable in 3 weeks (?).

However, the main points are:

* We will be using air travel when necessary, and drive a rental car otherwise.

* We want to do at least one of the big parks. Kruger for sure, and then maybe another one if there's a recommendation.

* We want to visit Cape Town.

* We'd like to spend some days at the sea if possible (it's a wedding trip so a bit of relaxation ain't bad :-)). I know May/June can be cold in Cape Town, but maybe some other places Western (Garden Route or even more West?) can be suitable?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!

Michele.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Three weeks in South Africa in May/June 2014 (first time)

Fly into Cape Town first, 4 nights, drive to the Garden Route, then onto Addo National Park, from here fly to Durban & then save Kruger for last.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three weeks in South Africa in May/June 2014 (first time)

Hello & in May/June you should consider visiting KwaZulu Natal. Its a lovely time to be there weather wise and the sea is warm! Magnificent scenery, huge beaches and great game reserves.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three weeks in South Africa in May/June 2014 (first time)

See new flights available directly into KNP using Skukuza airport. But book early. I think it will be strong demand.

skukuzaairport.com/parks/kruger/get_there/

Maniago, Friuli...
Level Contributor
163 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three weeks in South Africa in May/June 2014 (first time)

Hello all!

First of all, thank you for the replies. Of course the subject had a mistake: it's really May 2015, non 2014. :-)

So, for now I arranged many days in Kruger (I will fly into there directly, to Nelspruit which seemed more convenient than Skukuza). I will then fly to Port Elizabeth and spend a couple of nights in Addo.

From Port Elizabeth I will drive to Cape Town before flying back to Italy. I have about 8 nights to do the drive. I am planning to spend the last 3 in Cape Town (to allow 2 full days), maybe 1 in Paarl or so, and the other 4 along the Garden Route.

Now to the question: I somehow understand the Garden Route might be cold and windy in May. Should I do better do the Route 62 instead for that part?

Thanks,

Michele.

5. Re: Three weeks in South Africa in May/June 2014 (first time)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:18