We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SA, Chobe, Vic Falls trip-should I go in April or Oct.?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
629 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
SA, Chobe, Vic Falls trip-should I go in April or Oct.?

I have confirmed award tickets from the US to JNB then on to Vic Falls arriving April 7, 2015. The plan is to spend 1 night there, 2 nights on Pride of Zambezi, 2 nights at Elephant Valley Lodge in Chobe area. Then fly to HDS via JNB for 3 nights at Gomo Gomo Game Lodge, then fly to Capetown for 4 nights. I have award tickets home to the US leaving CPT on April 21.

I have an itinerary and trip planned out by Rhino Africa with a total cost of around $5300 each based on October dates for all flights and lodging. This would be the most expensive vacation I have ever taken on a per day cost basis.

My original desired time to do this trip was going to be between Sept.-Nov. 2015. When I saw the elusive award seats on SA 208 IAD-JNB open up I grabbed them as fast as I could. I may be able to change this trip to fall dates but those award seats won't be available for booking for another 2-3 months.

My question is whether there will be a price advantage into keeping the trip in April and not trying to change it to October. Will costs be less then? Also, is the weather better? I have a hard time tolerating extreme heat and humidity so cooler is better for me.

What about wildlife viewing? Which month would be better?

If you had the choice, which months for this itinerary would you choose?

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg Intl Airport
Johannesburg, South Africa
Gomo Gomo Game Lodge
Gomo Gomo Game Lodge
504 Reviews
Klaserie Private Game Reserve, South Africa
Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SA, Chobe, Vic Falls trip-should I go in April or Oct.?

April thru to Oct is best time. My first pick would be August. I too loathe the 'heat'. Given you have to choose one over the other I'd choose April. The Falls will be raoring and you'll get soaked from spray but you'll feel the power! Depending on rainy season Falls can be very low in October. Game viewing better in October but can be mighty hot by then esp late Oct.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SA, Chobe, Vic Falls trip-should I go in April or Oct.?

Please go online and look at Rack rates for the lodges that have been included in your itinerary. You will see seasonal differences for Chobe.. and add up the costing for your nights. As for your April trip - $5300PP seems pretty heavy to me. I would expect it to be less with that set of accommodations. Did they give you a breakdown? And if not, why not?

Edited: 14 August 2014, 21:06
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SA, Chobe, Vic Falls trip-should I go in April or Oct.?

Bwanadave:

After receiving a revised itinerary repriced with April dates and changing some of the accommodations, I now have a new lower cost. It is now $4426 pp. I changed the Vic Falls hotel to Kingdom Hotel and have 5 nights in Capetown at 2Inn1 Kensington. Flights segments included are Kasane-JNB, JNB-HDS, HDS-CPT. I have JNB-VFA and CPT-JNB included as part of my award flights.

With one extra night in the plan now, would it be advisable when in SA to spend 2 days at Gomo Gomo, 2 days at another safari camp, and 3 days in Capetown? I already have 2 safaris in Botswana.

Was wondering what caused the temps in Capetown this past April to go into the 90's mid month for a week. Was that unusual weather this year for April?

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg, South Africa
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SA, Chobe, Vic Falls trip-should I go in April or Oct.?

That quote sounds more accurate. The Kingdom is certainly better situated for walking around, shopping, etc.

If you have just one extra night, and 3 nights at Gomo Gomo now, then doing 2 at Gomo Gomo and 2 more somewhere else wouldn't cause you to change anything at Cape Town, it would seem. My first thought about doing that - includes the transfer expense. To get from Gomo Gomo to anywhere else will cost you.

Up the road from Gomo Gomo is Motswari, which would be a step up.. a place I like a lot. Sort of 'across the road' are Kambaku and even Ngala Safari lodge. Both good.

Mentioned in this post
The Kingdom Resort
The Kingdom Resort
462 Reviews
Sun City, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
5. Re: SA, Chobe, Vic Falls trip-should I go in April or Oct.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:16