We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

icon expeditions and dot2travel?

Belgium
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
icon expeditions and dot2travel?

When making an enquiry via an online form on the Chitwa Chitwa safari lodge website, I was redirected to the travel agent "icon expedition". But when sending a mail directly to the Chitwa Chitwa lodge they referred me to the travel agent "dot2travel".

I searched the forum and found the "icon expedition" is a reliable tour operator. Does anyone have experience with them?

I searched the forum for info about the travel agent "dot2travel" but could not find anything. Has anyone booked with dot2travel or knows them?

Thanks in advance!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: icon expeditions and dot2travel?

I worked with Icon Expeditions for our 3 weeks long trip to SA and Vic Falls last summer. They are indeed a reliable tour operator. I had great experience working with them.

I had submitted an online inquiry to Londolozi Private game reserve, and then was directed to work the Icon. My agent helped me with booking almost all my lodgings in SA, as well as many of the activities, such as White Shark dive, Chobe National Park day trip, Vic Falls helicopter tours etc.

My agent was knowledgeable, and always responded to my emails very promptly. She was professional, and never tried to sell me anything that I didn't ask for.

I also liked their online secure payment system. I made all credit card payments to them online, (they did not charge any credit card transaction fees.) They sent me the vouchers for my rental cars, hotel, and activities bookings etc. They were very easy to work with.

Belgium
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: icon expeditions and dot2travel?

Hi HappyTraveler852,

Thank you for sharing your good experience with Icon Expeditions. Indeed, on the tripadvisor site I found good reviews for Icon Expeditions.

The only thing is that the hotel itself gives much better payment and cancellation policies than Icon Expeditions.

But, I was not able to find any about dot2travel (www.dot2travel.co.za). Still hoping that a traveler has used them and can give me some comments.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: icon expeditions and dot2travel?

If you are able to get a better deal booking directly, you should just book directly with the hotel yourself. You don't have to work with an agent. Even if you work with an agent, you do not have to book everything with them.

When I worked with Icon, I found better internal flights online than with Icon, so, I booked our flights (Port Elizabeth to Jo'burg; Jo'burg to Vic Falls) myself. My agent with Icon always seemed to find better deals than I can with hotel bookings, so all my hotel bookings were with them.

Belgium
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: icon expeditions and dot2travel?

Hi HappyTraveler852,

I am still waiting to get prices from dot2travel. If they would give me the best prices, then I would be a bit uncertain to book with them as nobody can give any review comments on them. I have searched the whole internet. It is also good to compare payment and cancellation policies.

The Cancellation Policy I got from Icon Expeditions is:

- Cancellation prior to 8 weeks of travel - Full 30 % deposit is forfeited

- Cancellation 8 - 4 weeks prior to travel - 50% of total cost is forfeited

- Cancellation less than 4 weeks prior to travel - 100% of total cost is forfeited

The Payment Policy I got from Icon Expeditions is:

- 30% Deposit Payment and full payment for your flight portion only will be due immediately in order to secure your reservation.

- Full payment due 60 days prior to the departure date

Is this the same cancellation and payment policy you got from Icon Expeditions?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: icon expeditions and dot2travel?

Yes, I think it is the same. I believe their cancellation policy is the same for all their customers, it is on their website or print documents.

I found the private game lodges and most of the hotels in SA have similar pre-payment requirements, and cancellation policies. (In the U.S., we can cancel most hotel reservations with 48 hours notice, and don't have to pay anything.)

We purchased travel insurance through Travel Guard for our trip to South Africa, because we had to commit to quite a large sum, and we couldn't get our money back if something come up, and we had to cancel or delay our trip.

Our travel insurance cost somewhere between $200-$300 USD for our family of four for our 3 week long trip. (We did not insure our international flights, because we could rebook without much penalty within 12 months). Maybe you can consider some travel insurance too...

6. Re: icon expeditions and dot2travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:17