We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three weeks trip to southern africa

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Three weeks trip to southern africa

Hi

I try to build my itinerary for December holidays. At the first step I came up with a reasonable ticket from Stockholm to Johannesburg for a three weeks trip. However later on through a little search in web, I got a sense that December is not actually a quit best time to visit north part of South Africa ( particularly Kruger park and safaris).

I want to visit Mbabane & Maputo ( mainly sandy beaches of Mozambique) & possibly Gaborone & Maseru (Kome Caves). I heard Cape Town is also in his pick tourist season in December.

Can anyone help me to have some options for December? This is kind of life time trip for me, and I want to make most of it.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 01:14
Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three weeks trip to southern africa

Cape Town and surrounding countryside at their peak in weather/beauty in December. Because there are so many options to choose from you will still find something to fit yr budget. CT gets tourists but never crowded like Rome or London. Wine route in spectacular mountains has so many venues you'll often only see small groups of people. If you want to eat at well-rated places you'll need to book. The Cango Caves east of CT beat any caves on offer in Botswana. For swimmers K.Natal South Coast has fantastic beaches and warm water in December. Maputo much more expensive.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three weeks trip to southern africa

Thanks for your help. I would like to have a bit taste of Mozambique & Swaziland in my trip. So it would be great to include them as well. About being expensive I do not think Maputo can beat Stockholm :-) or maybe I am wrong.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Three weeks trip to southern africa

Not much can beat Stockholm price-wise. I am still recovering from the shock from 20 years ago.

What worries me about your plan is that all you are mentioning is cities. If you only visit cities, you are going to have a very disappointing trip to Africa. Southern African cities, with a few exceptions, aren't wonderful places to visit. They aren't terrible, but they aren't the places you will fall in love with. The game reserves, the mountains (okay you have those), the views, the very varied coastline, the remote places. That is what other people seem to enjoy.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Three weeks trip to southern africa

General advice for going to Mozambique these days is to use the Naamacha border post from Swaziland, as Komatipoort is a bit of a nightmare. Don't know if this is true, I have only used the Giriyondo and Pafuri border posts in recent years.

Mozambique has had a lot of unrest in recent years, but only really in the area north of Vilanculos, so shouldn't effect you at all. They are having a general election on 15th October, so you might want to hold off until after that to make any bookings, as the situation could get more volatile, although if you are travelling in the latter part of December, you need to book early.

Note: 15th December to 6th January 80% to 90% of South Africans are on leave (factory shutdown). It is the most expensive and busiest time to travel in Southern Africa. Kruger is probably already 90% booked up.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three weeks trip to southern africa

Thanks lamlee for your good information. definitely I will consider the stability of Mozambique after election in my plan. Actually I am not the fan of cities in Africa and I want to enjoy the beauty of nature and be surprised by African cultural heritage.

I came up with a primary itinerary for first 12 days but not sure about the rest of it (10 days). However I am totally open to make any adjustment. I visited more than 40 countries but I have never been in Africa and I want to make the most benefit of this trip.

1. Day 1: Arrival in O.R. Tambo International Airport Johannesburg. Going to Pilgrim's Rest through the coalfields of Mpumalanga and enjoying of the scenery of the Panorama Route.

2. Day 2: visit Pinnacle Rock, God's Window, Lisbon Falls, Bourke's Luck Pothpoles and the Three Rondawels. Overnight in hotel adjoining the Kruger.

3. Day 3: an open safari vehicle night drive in the Kruger and game viewing during the day.

4. Day 4: From Kruger to Maputo in Mozambique, a full city tour and a ferry trip across the harbor.

5. Day 5&6&7: Bilene, white beaches and palm trees, just relax 

6. Day 8&9: From Mozambique into Swaziland, sleep in Swazi beehive huts, visiting a Swazi Cultural Village, Swazi memorials, candle making, arts and crafts maybe Mkhaya Game Reserve

7. Day 10: Swaziland to Clarens, overnight in the Golden Gate National Park.

8. Day 11&12: Maliba Mountain lodge in Lesotho, Tsehlanyane National Park again relaxing.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three weeks trip to southern africa

'Day 2: visit Pinnacle Rock, God's Window, Lisbon Falls, Bourke's Luck Pothpoles and the Three Rondawels. Overnight in hotel adjoining the Kruger.'

We've just been. One tip is to stop and walk around at 'Wonder View'. It is just 1Km north of God's Window, is sign posted, absolutely free and has the best view of the lot imo. Very simple flat sandy path about 200m long will bring to the escarpment edge and you'll see KNP 50kms away on a clear day. Pinnacle not worth the stop imo.

3 Rondavels is also outstanding. Best seen in mid morning but anytime is fine. Days in Dec are long. When you get out yr car the concrete path forks. Pleeeeeze do BOTH walks. They offer a completely different view despite being less than 200m apart! Take yr camera. You be amazed. Just pray for clearish day as rains start in November.

7. Re: Three weeks trip to southern africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:17